Grand Cayman ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been diving in Grand Cayman since the travel ban been lifted. How much have they recovered ? Are any of the shops or hotels up and running on seven mile beach and what condition are they in ?

I just dove GC last week, and it was great! I was with Don Fosters, and their operation is back up and running full swing. Since I have not dove GC before, I cant tell how the reefs looked before, but there was plenty of sights for me. Not many soft corals, fans, and stuff like that, but the fish were certainly around. I wouldnt hesitate to dive again, especially with Don Fosters.

scubapro50:
Has anyone been diving in Grand Cayman since the travel ban been lifted. How much have they recovered ? Are any of the shops or hotels up and running on seven mile beach and what condition are they in ?

Things are getting a little better here everyday with more condos and restaurants re-opening every week so it's hard to give a really accurate list of who's open and who isn't.
At the moment as far as hotels go the Westin Casuarina and the Courtyard by Marriott are fully open for guests. I won't even try to list condos for fear of inaccuracies as the list is constantly changing but there are many available.
There is a great selection of restaurants open and again, they are getting back up and running all the time.
I would say that the majority of dive operations are up and running now and have been for some time! We are just waiting for some divers to take out! Whilst there are thousands of cruise shippers arriving every day stay-over tourists have been slow to reappear which is making life kind of tough for everyone.
All in all as a visitor you wouldn't notice much difference along seven mile beach except for the loss of many trees and the odd blue tarp on the roofs. Whilst recovery is slow for those of us that live here the majority of tourist facilities are fully functional and the diving is still great!

Hope to see you all soon!
CJ

Can't wait. And we just convinced another couple to go to Cayman instead of Coz...gotta help get things back in gear...

sdwho

caymancase:
As CJ said, the diving has been great!... we're just waiting for tourists to start coming back :) Here's a link to projected opening dates for restaurants, accommodations, etc. A great many are already up and running. http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/projections.htm

So, come on down for a visit!! Casey

Cayman Air is flying out of Chicago O'Hare again. I don't think their flights are going out full, however. Hopefully tourism will pick up. GC needs the tourist dollars, so they can continue to rebuild/recover.

Back
Top Bottom