Grand Cayman since Hurricanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Grand Cayman since the hurricanes of 2004. I am looking for a honeymoon spot for me and my future wife next year. I dive, she doesn't. Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Hello scubadivernick,

Congradulations on the engagement. I went to Grand Cayman about two weeks ago. It was my first time there so I don't have any basis for comparison, but most things on the island seemed to be up and running. We dove with Red Sail and had a good time. You can go through money pretty quick on the island. There doesn't seem to be much else to do besides diving. Seven mile beach is nice and there is great snorkeling. There are several nice hotels and lots of restraunts. We stayed at the Westin and loved it.

My wife and I did our honeymoon in Maui last year and had a great time. Maui has more non diving activites than Grand Cayman. We went hiking, swam in waterfalls and had some great dives. I guess it just depends on what you are in to.

Have fun

Thanks C-Dog, Maui is on the list also. Anyway, thank you for the info.

c-dog:
Hello scubadivernick,

Congradulations on the engagement. I went to Grand Cayman about two weeks ago. It was my first time there so I don't have any basis for comparison, but most things on the island seemed to be up and running. We dove with Red Sail and had a good time. You can go through money pretty quick on the island. There doesn't seem to be much else to do besides diving. Seven mile beach is nice and there is great snorkeling. There are several nice hotels and lots of restraunts. We stayed at the Westin and loved it.

My wife and I did our honeymoon in Maui last year and had a great time. Maui has more non diving activites than Grand Cayman. We went hiking, swam in waterfalls and had some great dives. I guess it just depends on what you are in to.

Have fun

My wife and I were in GC in late January and while the effects of the hurricane were very much in evidence, things were beginning to re-open every day and I suspect that they are in pretty good shape by now. Of course, some things will take more time: the devastation of the island's trees, the damage to the East End. But over on Seven Mile Beach and the North Wall (Cobalt Coast) I suspect things are looking good. You should go for it!!

sdwho

scubadivernick:
Has anyone been to Grand Cayman since the hurricanes of 2004. I am looking for a honeymoon spot for me and my future wife next year. I dive, she doesn't. Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Several Scubaboard members live on Grand Cayman. As always, feel free to ask questions by Private Message. The more specific you can be, the easier it is to give a definitive answer. Any specific interests outside diving?

There have been several discussions of Grand Cayman's progress since the Sept 11-12, 2004 landfall of Hurricane Ivan. While it is still a continuing process, I expect that other factors should be a factor in making 2006 plans. It sounds like your honeymoon is next year?

Drew Sailbum:
Several Scubaboard members live on Grand Cayman. As always, feel free to ask questions by Private Message. The more specific you can be, the easier it is to give a definitive answer. Any specific interests outside diving?

There have been several discussions of Grand Cayman's progress since the Sept 11-12, 2004 landfall of Hurricane Ivan. While it is still a continuing process, I expect that other factors should be a factor in making 2006 plans. It sounds like your honeymoon is next year?

Yeah, we are going to wait a couple of months to make any definite plans.

Thank you for all the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom