Grand Cayman Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Okay, I did a search & didn't come up with anything useful, so I'm asking all you good SB people to give me your thoughts on the best shore dives on Grand Cayman.

We'll be leaving next Sunday, so any timely advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, eh?!

The best shore dive I have done in Cayman is at "Dive Tech" (Dive Shop) it is on the North West side of the island near "Hell" and the Turtle Farm. You can rent a tank for $6 ci and swim out from the shop, go left or right, your choice. Lots of life. It is a mini wall in about 45' of water.

There are a couple websites out there with some decent info, try a Google on it.
Then there's the paid version: http://comdive.com/gc.htm
Up past the turtle farm there's a private residence where the guy will allow people to cut through his yard...

There are lots of great shore dives. Many of the ones on the west side have dive shops on site.

West side shore dives are lumped into two groups; West Bay and those south of Georgetown. Generally sites have healthier coral the further you get from the cruise ship terminals.

The group in West Bay includes DiveTech at the Cracked Conch (Turtle Farm), DiveTech at Cobalt Coast, and Spanish Bay Reef Resort. The wall is a steep drop as is typical of North Wall sites.

The group south of Georgetown includes Eden Rock, Abanks Dive Centre, Don Foster's Casuarina Point, Seaview, and Sunset House. Sunset House has a small wreck and the famous statue of the mermaid Amphirtite. The wall is more of a sharp slope rather than a sudden drop throughout this area.

Though logistics are more difficult, other shore dives around the island can be much better than the west side sites. You'll need to rent tanks and weight elsewhere for these. Be forewarned that you should call ahead to the East End shops if you are planning to stop and rent gear - not all of them rent tanks or other gear for shore diving!

Beach Bay is on the south shore between Savannah and Bodden Town at the end of Beach Bay Rd. Be wary of sea conditions!

On the north shore along the Queen's Highway is the famous Babylon. Directions you will find on the net are for entry through property that has been closed to the public. You'll have to drive further west (and swim further) for an accesible entry. Swim towards the mooring balls which sit on the edge of the main wall.

About 200 yards east of Barefoot Beach Gardens on Queen's Highway is a public access point down to the beach. You'll have to kit up and hike west a couple hundred yards to get out past the inner reef. The wall in the area sports some of the huge barrel sponges that make the dive truly worthwhile.

Bob3:
There are a couple websites out there with some decent info, try a Google on it.
Then there's the paid version: http://comdive.com/gc.htm
Up past the turtle farm there's a private residence where the guy will allow people to cut through his yard...

That must be the old Magnificent Dive Dump.

Drew Sailbum:
There are lots of great shore dives. Many of the ones on the west side have dive shops on site.

West side shore dives are lumped into two groups; West Bay and those south of Georgetown. Generally sites have healthier coral the further you get from the cruise ship terminals.

The group in West Bay includes DiveTech at the Cracked Conch (Turtle Farm), DiveTech at Cobalt Coast, and Spanish Bay Reef Resort. The wall is a steep drop as is typical of North Wall sites.

The group south of Georgetown includes Eden Rock, Abanks Dive Centre, Don Foster's Casuarina Point, Seaview, and Sunset House. Sunset House has a small wreck and the famous statue of the mermaid Amphirtite. The wall is more of a sharp slope rather than a sudden drop throughout this area.

Though logistics are more difficult, other shore dives around the island can be much better than the west side sites. You'll need to rent tanks and weight elsewhere for these. Be forewarned that you should call ahead to the East End shops if you are planning to stop and rent gear - not all of them rent tanks or other gear for shore diving!

Beach Bay is on the south shore between Savannah and Bodden Town at the end of Beach Bay Rd. Be wary of sea conditions!

On the north shore along the Queen's Highway is the famous Babylon. Directions you will find on the net are for entry through property that has been closed to the public. You'll have to drive further west (and swim further) for an accesible entry. Swim towards the mooring balls which sit on the edge of the main wall.

About 200 yards east of Barefoot Beach Gardens on Queen's Highway is a public access point down to the beach. You'll have to kit up and hike west a couple hundred yards to get out past the inner reef. The wall in the area sports some of the huge barrel sponges that make the dive truly worthwhile.

Drew,
I stayed at the Beach Bay condos about ten years ago for a couple weeks and we could never find a way to get out past the coral. Last time I stopped by an agitated lady shooed us off. Any suggestions?
TedJ

Sibhod:
The best shore dive I have done in Cayman is at "Dive Tech" (Dive Shop) it is on the North West side of the island near "Hell" and the Turtle Farm. You can rent a tank for $6 ci and swim out from the shop, go left or right, your choice. Lots of life. It is a mini wall in about 45' of water.

We really enjoyed the shore diving at Turtle Creek! Only got to do it once because of the weather but loved it, If you go to the left, there is an area with lots of tarpon!

SubMariner:
Okay, I did a search & didn't come up with anything useful, so I'm asking all you good SB people to give me your thoughts on the best shore dives on Grand Cayman.

We'll be leaving next Sunday, so any timely advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, eh?!

Response sent via PM. I also second what Drew said regarding Babylon and Dive Tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom