Grand Cayman or Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a while since I've been to either. I enjoyed both in different ways. While I thought the diving at both was good, Grand Cayman stands out more in my memory, largely for the dramatic wall dives with great visibility and majestic eagle rays, plus the ability to do some very nice, leisurely shore dives at our hotel's house reef. I wasn't quite as deeply enamored of Grand Cayman's slick topside vibe, but I enjoy things a little less developed. I'd go back to either, but for slightly different reasons.

I was on Grand Cayman late Nov 2011. I was on Roatan in late December 2008. (The trips in between were to Cozumel) Both places are enjoyable. Until you have been to both no one can tell you which one is better, you'll just have to go and see for yourself. I loved the diving off of Grand Cayman, the Kittiwake was fantastic! I didn't care much for the street where it was difficult to find a store that didn't sell $10,000 watches. The food was good on Grand Cayman, and expensive. The diving around Roatan is varied and quite enjoyable. The vis was a little better around Grand Cayman but Roatan was 80+ so I don't think there is anything to complain about. A stroll down the street in West End was enjoyable and the people were friendly, store keepers that actually took the time to chat not just trying to sell you a $10,000 watch. The shore dive from Sunset House was supposed to be nice, I don't know, the weather kicked up and I didn't get to dive it Of course I didn't do any shore dives in Roatan either. We stayed on the north side of Roatan and only had weather move in 1 day during our stay. The boats had already been moved to the other side of the island and we dove the south side that day. I like the laid back atmosphere of Roatan. I didn't quite feel that on Grand Cayman, at least not as much.

Sorry for the ramble but I don't think that the 2 places are easily compared, both of them are great places to go and it is up to the beholder to decide which is best. FWIW I have booked another trip to Roatan for August 2012.

What is really great about Grand Cayman verses Roatan is Grand Cayman has great shore diving that Roatan does not and the deep walls 40' -4,000' in Grand Cayman are breath taking shear. In West Bay, Grand Cayman is Cobalt Coast Dive Resort that has unlimited diving 24/7 for a price of a boat trip in Roatan.

I am puzzled. Roatan does not have great shore diving? I guess it depends upon what you are looking for. The south side of Roatan has shallow sun washed walls that are a macro photographers dream. Cocoview and Fantasy island resorts share a couple walls and the Prince Albert wreck right in front. Big stuff? Not the place to go. They do offer a canned shark dive and a trip to the west end where lots of turtles reside. I am going back for my 6th trip to Cocoview in June. It isn't Palau but I still love it.

My wife and I went last February and I guess I was a little surprised at fish populations. There were many, to be sure, but I guess I expected more species. Lot's of lionfish though (sadly).

Hmmmm....I just came back (yesterday) from Roatan. Stayed at AKR. I thought the diving was great. Lots of stuff to see. The dive operation, especially the boats were awesome. Three dives a day was plenty and the food was great. The accommodations as anyone who has been there are rustic at best but comfy. While I can't speak for The Caymans Roatan was an 8 outta 10 in my book.

If you settle on Grand Cayman I have a one bedroom oceanfront condo on the East end of the island for rent. property is Morritts Tortuga, www.morritt.com. shoot me an e mail if you are interested, seamason1@msn.com.

Back
Top Bottom