Grand Cayman or Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
I'm booked to spend the first week of July on Grand Cayman on the east side, diving with Ocean Frontiers and staying at the Reef Resort.
But...I've been reading a lot of enthusiastic reports of people going the Little Cayman and staying at Little Cayman Resort.
This is my first trip to the Caymans. Is the diving on Little GC worth the extra plane flight and logistical changes to switch to Little GC? (And if so, is the LC Resort the place to go?)
Thanks. All info appreciated.

I went to Little Cayman in April, staying at the Southern Cross Club. The diving on Bloody Bay wall is beautiful, and the people I met on the island said that they felt only the East End of Grand Cayman offered diving as nice, and even then not all the time. I have never been diving on Grand Cayman, so can't compare for you.

I had a chance to look at the resorts on the island while I was there -- I would vote for the Southern Cross Club or Pirates' Point. The Little Cayman Beach Resort is definitely the most "touristy" place on the island (if you can call anyplace "touristy" on such a small island), and perhaps a little more crowded on their boats.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want more details about the Southern Cross Club.

Sapphire

I have dove Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman. I would say of the three that Little Cayman is the best diving. If its all about the diving I would definitely go to Little over the other two. We stayed at Conch Club Condominiums and dove with the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We also used their meal plan. The condos are about 200 yards down the road from the Resort. The Beach Resort has GREAT FOOD!! Do not miss their meal plan. Its buffet style but it is awesome. The resort itself was a little touristy and I have heard on this board that it has gotten more so. Like I said the condos down the road offered a great alternative. Quiet, peaceful and we has the place to ourselves. Highly recommended. We looked at a couple of the other resorts and I would say it is hard to go wrong. The meal plan was what pushed us over to the Beach Resort. Good Luck!

<<I have dove Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman. I would say of the three that Little Cayman is the best diving.>>

Tim: Would you please explain what it is that makes the diving at LC the best? Thanks.

The wall starts at about 25 feet. The vis routinely is past 150 feet. I have never seen color on a reef like I have seen there. The boat ride is ten minutes tops. Need I go on?

The wall starts at about 25 feet. The vis routinely is past 150 feet. I have never seen color on a reef like I have seen there. The boat ride is ten minutes tops. Need I go on?

Well... the boat ride is a little more like 20 - 30 minutes if you are staying at some of the resorts on the south side (where most of them are) and diving on the north side (where Bloody Bay wall is). Having said that, I have to agree, colors like no other. My favorite dives on Bloody Bay wall involve beautiful swim-throughs, ending deep on the wall. Leisurely dive along the wall, up over the top, then cruising about 20-25 feet in the most beautiful coral garden, while doing your lengthy end of dive/safety stop. This is relaxing diving!

sapphire

Back
Top Bottom