Grand Cayman On A Budget ? dec/jan 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BartBe

Reaction score
Hi All,

My Girlfriend and myself go to GC in december/Januari this year. I have read a bit about the island and the main thing seems that it is very, very expensive. We are not planning to be on a tight budget but all toghether, flights from Belgium, a place to stay and so on, we don't want to go completely crazy...

By the time we go i'll be properly OW certified (started a few weeks ago ) and so i'm obviously hoping to do some diving while there. In a travel book I saw that it would be possible to do some shore diving if you have your gear. Just rent a tank and of you go. this would probably be the cheapest diving solution on the island. I plan on asking my dive club/shop to rent some gear for the holliday and hope to get it for a good price (will probably be cheaper than renting it overthere). As december/Januari in Belgium is not going to be their peak season (get's pretty cold outhere) i hope it would be possible.

Does anyone have any advice on this... ?

Minor problem... My girlfriend has not started her diving yet and will put it off for a bit longer. So by the time we go i'll be on my own for as far as diving is concerned.

So here's my second question... are there any experienced divers (as i'll only be OW) on the island between '27 dec' and '11 jan' that wouldn't mind cutting some costs (like me) and that wouldn't mind taking me (wet behind the ears) for some shore diving ?
This all if it is a reasonable thing to do ofcourse ! If this is just a crazy idea and in any way unsafe i obviously won't do it.

Any other advice and tips from people that have been there (doesn't have to be about diving) is more then welcome !

It's not impossible, but Cayman can be an expensive destination for those that want to be a bit extravagent.

1. Find accomodations with kitchen facilities. Many condos are available and some resorts have a kitchenette in each unit. You can cut costs by buying groceries and cooking some meals rather than dining at restaurants for all meals.

2. You may find a good rate on gear from your local dive club. On Grand Cayman expect to pay $10-15US per day for rental of a BC. Same price for a Reg. You can try Diver's Supply diversup@candw.ky to see if they have weekly rental rates. Compare with Diver's World divworld@candw.ky to see what works for you.

3. You need a buddy for shore diving. You may be able to find a buddy at some of the popular shore diving sites by asking around for any divers who may be in the same situation as you. Alternatively, get your girlfriend certified either before you come or after you arrive.

..is a great place to shore dive. The people there seem really good too.
Of course you could go around to where the sailbum works and I bet he'd help you out.

Joe

you should find your budget issue easy to organize if you spend a little time planning- I managed a week on Grand Cayman for vey little money. I always dive on a tight budget as that way I can go more often!!!

definately take the advice above and find a place with kitchenette, then you can cook and save a ton of money.

I pack supplies which help for this -plastic sandwich bags, individual ketchup/mayonaise sachets(visit mcdonalds!!!) tea-bags or coffee singles, packet soups, granola bars, and some liquor. All this never weighs very much and can really help as on-island grocery prices are often steep. that being said- the centre of town has a really good deli which makes picknic lunches far superior to anything in the restuarants.

Another thing is to look for hotels off the beach- you can usually walk to the beach anyway, and being European you are probably used to using your legs.

happy diving-go for it!!!!

munkispank once bubbled...
the centre of town has a really good deli which makes picknic lunches far superior to anything in the restuarants.

I would assume you mean the Fort Street Market. Popular place for local professionals to grab lunch. It's about a block off the waterfront near the Glass House (government building). Definitely more affordable than the typical Cayman restaurant.

Is there anyone here that lives on GC or that will be there dec/jan who would want to join (and supervise) me for some shore diving ?

Back
Top Bottom