Grand Cayman on 12/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also prefer Cayman's reefs and walls to wrecks but everybody has their own preferences. I remember once when we were on Little Cayman, I was talking with a fellow diver who was very disappointed because the dive shop had decided, for some reason, not to make the trip over to Cayman Brac to dive the Tibbetts wreck. I said to him "Well, it's not all bad, you get to dive the Bloody Bay Wall instead, and it's fantastic!" But he was still bitterly disappointed because he had really wanted to dive the wreck.

Mostly I've just learned to trust the dive op to pick the best dives for the conditions, but if the OP really wants to dive a wreck then he can probably find a shop that will be heading to the Kittiwake on the day that will work best for him.

I agree that one dive on the Kittiwake is enough and the second tank should be done on a reef instead of a second dive on the wreck. The Kittiwake is a big, imposing ship and it is fun to explore it underwater (the propellers are massive!) but there's not much fish life or coral growth yet, so I think that 1 tank is fine.

We really enjoyed going back to the Oro Verde wreck recently, even though it is mostly just a shallow, debris field now. I remember when that boat was mostly intact! But there were loads of coral and fish life on the wreck site and that is what I enjoy - but everybody has their own preferences!

Hi @cdwinell, for a wreck dive the best option would indeed be the Kittiwake as already suggested. But I’d also take into account what has been mentioned in this thread, the wall dives is what Cayman is famous for and certainly something to consider.

We do have a 2-tank Kittiwake & Reef trip scheduled on the afternoon of the 27th if your schedule allows that? We normally don’t do the same dives two afternoons in a row. But as it will one of our busiest weeks we might also have enough divers sign up for a Kittiwake trip on the 26th as well, but we can’t guarantee that at this point.

And you’re always welcome to pop by our shop in the Holiday Inn for some diving suggestions, or other tips while you are on the island.

Menno

I fly out the morning of the 28th, so would prefer to dive the 26th. I have done the wall dives, but again, that was 25 years ago and I remember them be spectacular. The reason I was thinking wreck dives is I haven't done a good wreck dive in the Caribbean, usually sticking to reefs. I remember the visibility being nearly endless.

What's the best way to connect with you? phone or email?

I also prefer Cayman's reefs and walls to wrecks but everybody has their own preferences. I remember once when we were on Little Cayman, I was talking with a fellow diver who was very disappointed because the dive shop had decided, for some reason, not to make the trip over to Cayman Brac to dive the Tibbetts wreck. I said to him "Well, it's not all bad, you get to dive the Bloody Bay Wall instead, and it's fantastic!" But he was still bitterly disappointed because he had really wanted to dive the wreck.

Mostly I've just learned to trust the dive op to pick the best dives for the conditions, but if the OP really wants to dive a wreck then he can probably find a shop that will be heading to the Kittiwake on the day that will work best for him.

I agree that one dive on the Kittiwake is enough and the second tank should be done on a reef instead of a second dive on the wreck. The Kittiwake is a big, imposing ship and it is fun to explore it underwater (the propellers are massive!) but there's not much fish life or coral growth yet, so I think that 1 tank is fine.

We really enjoyed going back to the Oro Verde wreck recently, even though it is mostly just a shallow, debris field now. I remember when that boat was mostly intact! But there were loads of coral and fish life on the wreck site and that is what I enjoy - but everybody has their own preferences!

Very thorough response! I appreciate it. I'm not sold on the wreck, but have never done one. sounds like I'm hooking up with Divetech, so I'll work with them on the best set up!

I appreciate your feedback!!!

Very thorough response! I appreciate it. I'm not sold on the wreck, but have never done one. sounds like I'm hooking up with Divetech, so I'll work with them on the best set up!

I appreciate your feedback!!!

There are some good wreck dives in the Caribbean like the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire and the Tibbetts (Russian Frigate) in Cayman Brac. I am not expert at wreck dives, I have never been to Truk Lagoon or many other famous wreck destinations - but I was lucky enough to do a few dives on the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea in Egypt - and it continues to exceed the experience of all the other wrecks that I have visited as a recreational diver.

I do enjoy seeing how a wreck site changes over time. When we first dived the Tibbetts on Cayman Brac it was upright and in one piece. Now it is broken and twisted and overgrown with coral and serves as a host site to many healthy fish populations. It is still clearly recognizable as a wreck but very altered in appearance with time and weather.

The Kittiwake is very big and impressive and it has also experienced some changes since the first time we dived it - the ship is now tilted on it's side, some of the upper structure is gone, its location has moved, and it is beginning to show more signs of coral growth and sea life - but it is still quite intact.

There's a lot of great wrecks in the Great Lakes - right in my back yard - but I like warm water!

I hope you have good weather and good diving!

There's a lot of great wrecks in the Great Lakes - right in my back yard - but I like warm water!

I hope you have good weather and good diving!

Great Lakes is my back yard too! :) Haven't dove in Lake Superior yet though....

I fly out the morning of the 28th, so would prefer to dive the 26th. I have done the wall dives, but again, that was 25 years ago and I remember them be spectacular. The reason I was thinking wreck dives is I haven't done a good wreck dive in the Caribbean, usually sticking to reefs. I remember the visibility being nearly endless.

What's the best way to connect with you? phone or email?

Hi @cdwinell we’d be out of the water by 4.00 PM, so with the minimum of 18 hours you’d be good to fly by 10.00 AM if that works with your flights if my math is correct!

Happy to help you out setting up some dives, you can either mail us at info@divetech.com or call us toll free at 1 877 946 5658. Our office hours are 7.30 AM - 5.00 PM daily.

Menno

We loved The Rhône in BVI Stayed at Peter Island. Did it both in the day and the night. One of my most memorable night dives despite a crazy post hurricane current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom