Grand Cayman on 12/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdwinell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there,

I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn on 7-mile beach and am hoping to do a wreck dive on the 26th. It's a quick in-and-out trip. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good wreck to dive on? Also, any recommendations of dive shops who head out to the wrecks regularly?

cd

@Divetech Cayman has a shop on site at the Grand Caymanian (Holiday Inn) and they are a very popular and reputable dive op, so you should contact them directly.

There are several wrecks around GC like the Oro Verde and the Doc Poulson but the Kittiwake is a really big boat and a popular dive. The dive ops usually alternate to dive the Kittiwake on different days so find out when Dive Tech will be going there during your trip.

We dived the Oro Verde during out recent trip, we hadn't been there is a long time and it has been disintegrating over time, but the reef has been growing and there is a lot of healthy life on the wreck.

Oro Verde I would struggle to call a wreck any more - it's more just like a bunch of wreckage :)

Kittiwake it the most intact one - it's usually done as a one tank afternoon dive. You don't need wreck certification to dive it. Here's a taste of it: - it has since this video been tilted over in a storm, but is still the same basic layout.

As the Holiday Inn isn't actually on Seven Mile Beach, but on the North Sound, if you don't have your own transportation you are best to get picked up - Divetech makes the most sense to go with, as they are based there and will transport you over to (presumably) the West Bay Dock which is where most of the Kittiwake boats leave from. Check with them and see whether they will have a trip on that day. If not, then most if not all dive ops do a Kittiwake trip at some point, if the conditions permit. It's worth calling around.

Dive sites are first come first serve so there is no guarantee you will get the site of choice. Some ops had scheduled trips to The Kittiwake—it has a government mandated entrance fee so it is something all the divers on the boat have to be in agreement on hence it is a “Kittiwake” dive. There are a couple of smaller ops that leave 1/2 hour before and after everyone else so they have a better chance of choice of site. Did the Doc Poulson on Sunday (hadn’t been for years) and while it is small, it is teeming with marine life. You pretty much can go wrong with whomever you choose here I love the walls best too!

I've done the Kittiwake a few times with Red Sail

From Red Sail's website:

2-Tank Double Shallow Kittiwake Dive

Time:
8:15am - 12:30pm (Mon/Wed)
12:30pm - 4:30pm (Fri)

Price: $140.00 includes marine park fee, tanks/weights.
Departs: Seven Mile Beach. Three pick-up points; Seafire, Westin and Ritz-Carlton.

A guided dive through the wreck of the ex-USS Kittiwake, followed with a shallow coral reef dive.

Hi @cdwinell, for a wreck dive the best option would indeed be the Kittiwake as already suggested. But I’d also take into account what has been mentioned in this thread, the wall dives is what Cayman is famous for and certainly something to consider.

We do have a 2-tank Kittiwake & Reef trip scheduled on the afternoon of the 27th if your schedule allows that? We normally don’t do the same dives two afternoons in a row. But as it will one of our busiest weeks we might also have enough divers sign up for a Kittiwake trip on the 26th as well, but we can’t guarantee that at this point.

And you’re always welcome to pop by our shop in the Holiday Inn for some diving suggestions, or other tips while you are on the island.

Menno

If staying at Holiday Inn, Divetech is the on site operator and would be the easiest option and a very good one. I personally would not waste a day on GC doing a double shallow dive on Kittiwake. IMO, one tank is more than enough. Dive the wall. That is what GC is deservedly famous for.

Unless you feel super strongly about it I agree on focusing on what Cayman is famous for, the walls, especially if you've only got time for one boat trip. Rather than trying too hard to get to the Kittiwake or any particular wreck there. I also agree that if you're at the Holiday Inn (which is not on 7MB) going with Divetech makes sense. They are a great op and any extra bit of convenience is good when it sounds like you don't have much time.

Back
Top Bottom