Grand Cayman it is. Any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, big change of plans. The job offer in Palau evaporated. Now it looks like Grand Cayman's East End.

The kicker is, I've never been to the Caymans. I understand that the East End is much quieter than Georgetown. I know I won't be dealing with the cruise ship crowd often, and will have fewer boats jockeying for position at the dive sites.

But this is reality, and I will have to live there - mostly on the generous :$: tips of my customers. :tease:

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone ever found decent, but somewhat affordable accomodations there? I would like to find someplace affordable to stay for a couple of days until I find a long-term place.

Finally, any advice on living there from those who have at least visited? Places to check out, or avoid? How necessary was having access to a car? Was there anything about the Caymans that you found to be particularly surprising that I should know?

Thanks for the help gang!

Robert Clark (a native) runs a GREAT informational site on life in Grand Cayman at www.gotocayman.com. There's plenty of info on working in GC plus accomodations, legal info, etc.

Just sent you a quick PM before I saw this post.
Yep, East End is a little out of the way but beautiful! There's a grocery store and some restaurants located right in East End plus you're pretty close to Boddentown (2nd largest town other than Georgetown)and Northside. There is an omnibus service that travels through East End so you might want to check that out for travel if you want to get to Georgetown or other places... but a car, or a friend with a car, is the best way to travel.
You might want to try contacting Turtle Nest Inn in Boddentown at 345-947-8665 or Northside Surf Inn at 345-947-1431 for your short term stay. Those 2 are probably the least expensive but I would ask your contact at Tortuga Divers if maybe they know of a guest house right in East End?
Safe trip, Drew. You'll love it here! Casey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom