Grand Cayman Islands In Februrary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campurr

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ever dive Cayman Islands in February? What was your experience? They say it is their coldest month, was it?

We go to the east end of the island, stay at the Morrit's Grand Cayman. We were down in November and got blown out by wind everyday, limited diving for us in November.

thanks
Karen

Campurr:
Anybody ever dive Cayman Islands in February? What was your experience? They say it is their coldest month, was it?

We go to the east end of the island, stay at the Morrit's Grand Cayman. We were down in November and got blown out by wind everyday, limited diving for us in November.

thanks
Karen
The diving is better in march and even better in April. If you must go in Feb, choose either something on the south or west sides.

Campurr:

thanks
Karen
Unfortunately, the East End is at its worst from December until March as far as winds and rough water go.....the water is slightly cooler also

We were there this past February. We stayed at Cobalt Coast--very nice resort. We dove with Divetech--good people. Unfortunately, our 'opportunity to dive the North Wall' never materialized over the full week. North and Northwest sides were consistently blown out. Summer seems to be the best bet. If we go next Spring, we will probably go to the South or East sides.

Hi Scubabamatxn
Thanks for the response. I changed our trip until April. I took your advice and others and decided its not worth the trip in Feb not for diving. We got blown out by wind in Nov of last year and didnt get to dive as much as we wanted. I hear Dive tech is a good operation there. We dove this http://www.caymanmarinelab.com/ it was a learning experience as well. In april we are staying on the east end and may try ocean frontiers or the tortuga since we stay at the grand cayman. I hear the east end is the best dive, but I can say I had some nice dives near geogetown. We stay at the grand tortuga and will do all boat dives this time. We did much shore diving last year when we got to dive.

We plan a trip ever year to Cayman in Jan or Feb. We have had wonderful trips the last 3 years. From my log book the air temp averaged was 87 degrees with a water temp of 80 degrees. We have been diving with Divetech on the Northwall and Cayman Diving Lodge on the Eastwall. I can not say enough good things about either operations, plus they have the boats that can handle the seas. The wall diving on the East end and the Northwall are very simlar and very awesome. We tend to book most our diving with Divetech because there is no shore diving on the east end. Divetech offers unlimited shore diving with their boat package. We like to log 24 dives in our 8 day trips.

For getting blown out in their winter months we only were forced to dive south one day in our 3 years, but south was also very awesome. In my log book I did note that the top of the deep walls were 70-80 feet and the shallow sites were not shallow but we were diving nitrox so it did not matter.

If you change your dates, I would go for May and go see the hammerheads on the Northwall at Tarpon Alley dive site. Very Cool experience.

Have a great trip....

I'm glad the weather worked out for you. We really enjoyed Divetech, but they were never able to get us anywhere near the North Wall all week. In fact, it was so rough, they would not even let us do a shore dive all week at the Cobalt Coast site. We were able to do some shore diving at the Turtle Reef location-- better wind protection that week--

February of 2004 was an incredibly windy month! We had winds of 35mph+ blowing daily for a few weeks. With wind direction mostly from ENE to due East, it was a real mess on East End. Fortunately that wasn't normal.

February is usually one of the coldest months, and is windier than average. It's just not usually going to blow you away. So long as the wind direction is not due East, the East End operators can usually find some reasonably protected waters. Still, dramamine is advised for those who know they have queasy stomachs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom