Grand Cayman in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking about going in June. Will have some non-divers along. How good/bad is the island since Ivan (above water)? Will non-divers hate it now if they liked it 5 years ago? Thanks

<< Will non-divers hate it now if they liked it 5 years ago? >>

No, I don't think so. Some things have changed, some restaurants, stores and bars have been replaced by others, but the island is pretty much as likable as it was 5 years ago ...

Thanks-- Many areas of Pensacola are just now up to the pre-Ivan state and I didn't want to leave one construction site for another.

We first returned to GC the January after Ivan and the effects of the storm were visible and widespread. By the following August, you could see that a lot of progress had been made, although a lot of hotels, condos etc were still closed. A year later (i.e., Aug 2006), things were considerably improved in the Seven Mile Beach and up in the North (where the storm's impact was less than in other areas). From driving around, it appeared that the East End was recovering more slowly along with some other parts of the island (South Sound, for instance) that are not part of the typical tourist's itinerary. I would think your friends would be fine, and if you have a car and can take a tour of the island, that might be an intresting thing for non-divers to do.

I see you rented a car, Now for the non divers, While staying at Cobalt ask Divetech about the scooters. Non divers can take them into the water off the dock at Cobalt or turtle reef, Someone in the dive shops can slow them down for snorklers. They are a blast, also non divers can snorkle at Stingray city, I did that before I got certified. An intsructor will bring them up to you. Don't forget to check out the Turtle farm next to divetech's Turtle reef shop,non diver can check out the turtles while the diver does his or her thing. And also go see the Butterfly farm. Seven mile beach isn't very far from Cobalt, Get in the water about to your waist and scuff up the sand and watch the fish come to eat,don't forget your mask,. And go to the deserted beach, You can ask Divetech about a picnic there, Take the snorkle gear. Have Fun Turtle gal

DLR06:
How busy will GC be in early June?
We were there 3 years ago the 1st week of June. I can't recall any traffic except downtown one afternoon.

But that was because there were 2-3 cruiseships in port. Georgetown is pretty small and narrow in places so if there's several ships in town the cruisers overflow the sidewalks. And careless, no one realizes you're coming at them on the opposite side of the road.
Once they clear out - around 4:30-5:00 - Georgetown is a ghost town. Most of the stores close then also so if you want to do any shopping go during the day. We ate at the Hard Rock down there one night, I got out of the car to be sure they were open before we parked. We didn't wait anywhere along SMB for a table all week. Summer's low season on GC.

Coming down from Divetech there's a market in the North Sound area and lots of restaurants along SMB. So unless you're going specifically to Georgetown, you should miss most of it. Sometimes there's a little traffic around the Hyatt also. Took us maybe 5 minutes to go by there on our way to Divetech/Turtle Reef.

You will be aways away from Georgetown, restaurants, and shopping - I would suggest renting a car (Andy's right next to the airport). Be sure to drive out to the East End and Rum Point.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm
June is fairly quiet regardless, but it's still a good idea to avoid George Town when there's multiple cruise ships in port. Looks like the 14th and 28th are good days to stay out of town.

Back
Top Bottom