Grand Cayman damage report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Southeast of Disorder...and San Marcos, Texas
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I found this on another board and brought it over here. I think it is important that we keep up with what is going on on the island. These people are in dire need of help. I hope it comes soon. Surely the British government has sent or is sending aide.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2760

That is just so sad! god i hope that those poor people there will get back on their feet again. I was there in Feb. and it's so beautiful there..and for something like this to happen it's very sad.

It's so sad to read of such massive devastation. This report indicates conditions are even worse than I had previously realized. Grand Cayman has always been such a beautiful, peaceful and civilized island.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the unfortunate people of Cayman.

Sounds to me like there won't be much diving to be done in Grand Cayman for the rest of this year.

The media does not report "the news" it creates a TV show to produce ratings to produce cash income from selling advertisers commercial time. The shows they produce are based loosely on the events of the day. The TV news could care less about who is suffering where unless it is a trendy or popular story. Thousands of peoples die every day and it goes un reported. After 25 years of working in the media I am glad to not be associated with it any longer. Rant over. I am sure World Vision or the Red Cross or someone is helping. Lets find out who and get behind them and help these people who were not doing that great even before the storm.

amport:
The media does not report "the news" it creates a TV show to produce ratings to produce cash income from selling advertisers commercial time. The shows they produce are based loosely on the events of the day. The TV news could care less about who is suffering where unless it is a trendy or popular story. Thousands of peoples die every day and it goes un reported. After 25 years of working in the media I am glad to not be associated with it any longer. Rant over. I am sure World Vision or the Red Cross or someone is helping. Lets find out who and get behind them and help these people who were not doing that great even before the storm.

I didn't realize GC got hit that bad. This sucks. Even the weather channel stated it hit "near" GC. I haven't seen much news from anyone. Sad, can't even rely on a "weather" channel. Until they make a documantary about it. Like you said, it's all about ratings......

I can't imagine a year without my trip to CDL. It's a unique, very special place with wonderful people and the best diving. Many good friends and memories, and hopefully more in the years to come. Very sad to hear about the current state of things, and amazing that there is no press.

Not CDL, but take a look at what GC is like post-Ivan.

www.davidolson.com
www.eastend.demon.co.uk

Relief efforts can be found at www.caymanislands.ky/hurricane_relief.asp

There's also a fund set up my Morritt's specifically for East End. (go to www.morritts.com/forum for all the details)

MORRITT’S HURRICANE RELIEF FUND

We have formed a not-for-profit corporation and are filing for tax-exempt status so donors may receive a tax deduction for contributions made. The name of the entity is “Morritt’s Grand Cayman East End Hurricane Relief Fund, Inc.” Donations may be made as follows:

Check payable to: MGCEE Hurricane Relief Fund, Inc.

Send to: Signature Bank
c/o Carly Ross, Assistant to the President
P.O. Box 571
St. Petersburg, Florida 33731-9809

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi

It is amazing why havnt we seen these reports on tv, from all that i have been reading from you guys this is one of the biggest hurricane disasters, you need help get it on tv let the world know
Reports keep surfacing that media are arriving and they are being summarily turned away at the airport before they can get the pictures they want to tell the story.

Drew Sailbum:
Reports keep surfacing that media are arriving and they are being summarily turned away at the airport before they can get the pictures they want to tell the story.

Hi Drew.

Any ideas or reports as to why the Camayians may be turning the press away?

The only thing I can think of would be that they don't want to discourage tourism. But getting the word out may help them get back to 'normal' quicker.

Paula

diver_paula:
Hi Drew.

Any ideas or reports as to why the Camayians may be turning the press away?

The only thing I can think of would be that they don't want to discourage tourism. But getting the word out may help them get back to 'normal' quicker.

Paula
The Cayman Islands are heavily dependent upon tourism, no doubt. There is also a huge international banking sector.

I think the government may believe that the tourism sector will rebound when visitors come back for the sun and the sand - things that are depentdent upon the location in the tropics. The banking sector is not dependent upon those factors, and the Cayman government may fear a loss of position in the world financial marketplace if stories of destruction and looting were to play out in the press.

Back
Top Bottom