Grand Cayman April 16 to 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveG

Registered
Reaction score
We will be staying at wyndham sunshine suites and i would like to get in at least 2, 2 tank dives and maybe a shore or night dive or two. my wife does not dive but enjoys a snorkle trips.

i usually visit two or three shops my first day and see who i like. looking for clean professional atmosphere, modern boats, rental equipment in good condition, and that they take the time to talk and act like they want my business. Just bought a computer and would like to use it to get in even more dives.

so can anyone save me a bit of time by sending me to the best operations so that i won't need to visit more than three.

thanks in advance to all

I just got back from Grand Cayman (second time there) so here is my 2 cents:

Cayman Dive Lodge in the east end of the Island is a FANTASTIC OPERATION, they have nice boats, good captains (Rico will even entertain you with joke on your surface interval) and very friendly staff.
The Sunset House also has a good staff and quick access to some nice dives.
For Shore dives you can also dive at the sunset house, they have a brass mermaid sunk in about 40' of water right off their shore you can go see.
For a really nice shore dive on a mini-wall go to Dive Tech (right below the restaurant "The Cracked Conch" on the North West end of the Island, the restaurant is pretty good too. This is near the "Turtle Farm" and "Hell".
I hope you have a great time!

I am taking off in 2 days to go to Grand Cayman
I have no idea where to stay and dive
What would you recommend?
Thanks
Steph

I am headed over to Grand Cayman in 2 days and need to know where I can stay and dive where is is reasonably priced. I am going alon and those single suppliments are very expensive. I hope to meet some diver and join them on shore dives. Maybe you can help ?
Thanks
Steph

Sibhod:
I just got back from Grand Cayman (second time there) so here is my 2 cents:

Cayman Dive Lodge in the east end of the Island is a FANTASTIC OPERATION, they have nice boats, good captains (Rico will even entertain you with joke on your surface interval) and very friendly staff.
The Sunset House also has a good staff and quick access to some nice dives.
For Shore dives you can also dive at the sunset house, they have a brass mermaid sunk in about 40' of water right off their shore you can go see.
For a really nice shore dive on a mini-wall go to Dive Tech (right below the restaurant "The Cracked Conch" on the North West end of the Island, the restaurant is pretty good too. This is near the "Turtle Farm" and "Hell".
I hope you have a great time!

Fisheye is located right next to Sunshine suites. I believe they do some package deals with Sunshine Suites. I have used them a couple times and they were good. They have a website you can do a search for.

DaveG,

There are a multitude of professional operations on Grand Cayman. Many of them have boat departures from a marina or else do beach pickups and don't necessarliy have their boats right at their shop. Do stop in and ask questions, just don't be disappointed in you can't check out their boats right away.

eyescuba.

Nothing like the last minute, eh?
You'll find divers hanging out at several of the shore diving locales. There are nice spots (ok, bars really) at Sunset House, Seaview, and Divetech at the Cracked Conch where you might be able to round up an impromptu dive buddy. Most any dive boat operation will help you pair up with another solo traveller or staff member to get your aquatic fix too.

Dave G,
Bear in mind that there are many excellent smaller dive operators on Seven Mile Beach that do not have shops due to the outrageous rents! For the most part these are the operators that take small groups and give more diving freedom (within safe limits!)

It depends what you are looking for. If you want to meet lots of people (and be in the water with them all at the same time!) then choose one of the larger operations. If you like being less crowded under water then look in the yellow pages when you arrive or ask around on this chatboard. Alternatively I woluld be happy to give you a list of the small operators, let me know.

CJ.

Back
Top Bottom