GPS Coordinates for San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands, please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am hoping someone here will have good dive site GPS coordinates for San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands. We've got the Lonely Planet guide to the Channel Islands, but more specific locations would be so helpful.

Thanks!
Deb

Location: The southernmost projection of Santa Rosa Island, about four miles WSW of Ford Point or four miles SE of Cluster Point. The sheltered area to the NE of South Point is called Johnson's Lee.

GPS Coordinates (outside anchorage): W 33.55.31, N 120.06.71.(GPS for reference only. Do not use as sole source of navigation.)

Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.

Depth: 30 to 80 feet. Multiple-level site.

Visibility: Varies, mostly according to weather and depth. Usually churned-up at depths of 30 feet and less. At 30-50 feet, visibility of 15-30 feet is common, more than enough to navigate comfortably.

Temperature: Rarely above 55°F.

Dive Spot At-A-Glance
Access: Boat only, this spot is dived by So. CA's charter boats when conditions permit.
Skill Level: Intermediate or better.
Depths: 20 to 70 feet.
Visibility: Good, 30-70 feet.
Water temperature: Colder than the other Channel Islands, expect temperatures of 55° F or lower.
Photography: Great opportunities to photograph large game fish and marine mammals. Also a great place to shoot nudibranchs, and other colorful little critters.
Hunting: The south side of Point Bennett is now a fishing reserve and no marine life may be harvested. See California Department of Fish and Game Regulations for more information.
Hazards: Watch for currents. Care should be taken anchoring here since there are many submerged rocks around the dive site. Great white sharks have been seen here.

Try Franko's maps, thats what I 'approxmated' the divesites listed in this CSV plotted on a marine Chart thats a much higher resolution than the thumb attached

whalerkyle and azcaddman,

Thank you both! I really appreciate your help! I will print it all out and use it next week. Looks like you spent some time there azcaddman.

Hey, wish me luck on my first lobster expedition while up there. I hope no shorts jump into the boat, kyle! :wink:

Deb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom