GPS buying help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeC

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a GPS to be used while we bike and maybe do some hiking, strictly off the water usage. What should I look for? I did browse briefly at several Magellan models that were at the local outdoors shop while doing some Christmas shopping. Not sure what features are fluff and what is needed. Thanks.

Hi,

No warranty express or implied with this, since I don't use my GPS quite this way, but ...

Last year when I went looking for a GPS for an assortment of things, I ended up selecting the Garmin 76CS.

It is clearly designed for hiking applications and such, but is also capable of marine use and driving use. At the time it was in my opinion Garmin's top of the line handheld, and did everything they offer except aviation ...

It is "waterproof" (read details, as aways with such!); does road, topo, and marine map products; has outback use features like sunrise/sunset, hunting and fishing guides, compass, altimeter; and has a big memory (there was a newer model with more cool-looking rubber armor, but it was the same guts and features with less memory).

Decent Windows PC software and cartography support online also. Maps will cost ya, though. The maps I have used have proven quite accurate.

Give the Garmin's a look.

Cheers,

Walter

I have a couple of Magellen gps's and I find they have a fantastic antenna which many other brands do not.

You'll like it and get the ones with the larger screen.

Garmin e-trax legend. You said you bike and hike. It is small and works really well for me on both. Not the greatest but it has all that I wanted. You can do geocaches and has alot of maps you can down load on and a great screen for me! Here in Utah you can get one for about $135 at Sportsman Warehouse. Hope this helps

I have a Garmin GPS 76 and like the big display which can be reconfigured pretty easily. Different things are more important at different times. For instance, I can nearly fill the screen with a single item (like speed readout) or cram the screen with many navigation items at once.

For a steady diet of hiking and biking, the 76CS might be better since it has a barometric altimeter instead of using GPS altitude and it has a magnetic compass. Neither was a big issue for me.

A big screen with good resolution is my key item. They all navigate well.

Having maps and charts in the unit is not a big deal for me.

I've been pretty happy with my Garmin eTrex Legend. If I had more $ I'd upgrade to one of their newer models (GPSMAP 60CS?). For the money though, and on a budget, the Legend is pretty good.

By the way, one of my favorite places to check reviews on stuff like this is amazon.com. Lots of feedback from current gear users. It's been useful to me in the past.

--Jesse

Back
Top Bottom