GPO killing at Cove 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post a link to some tragic events that occurred yesterday at Alki Cove 2 in Seattle -- a local diver harvested a full grown GPO who was allegedly on eggs, essentially sealing the fate of 50,000-100,000 future GPOs. It was an appalling site, and we are currently trying to raise support to change the laws regarding GPO harvesting and ultimately establish cove 2 as a conservation area.

Here's a concise summary:
Rapture of the Deep Photography | alkigpo

and here's the local dive forum's lengthy discussion thus far:
Northwest Dive Club • View topic - Octopus hunters in Cove 2 ...

Thanks for your time everyone

Scott

Wow a real shame. Makes me think this is his income. The economy may end up pushing folks to do these things. I hope not. I wlll be the first to amit i have taken a sand dollar or some other dead souvenier in the past. But this can no way compare. The damage is expontial. I wonder how long before he goes back to his truck to find flat tires ect. This has the making for a real war developing. If he is selling to the resteraunts, maybe some presure can be made there. I too live in a neighborhood where the deer roam free and they are like pets to some extent, you know when they are missing and one can sit on he porch and watch them for hours. they largely make the neighborhood what it is. AS is the same with the cove i am sure. if he was beatin the creature then would the humane society or fish and wildlife have jurisdiction over what is a legit harvest method?

That is just repulsive!
Glad to see the Seattle dive community come together on this! Best of luck getting Cove2 designated a reserve.
A friend is a Marine Biology student at UW and volunteer at the AQ..I will send him a link about this.

Does anyone think that the pollutants from the Duwamish river flowing into that area are not the smartest area to be gathering from? I dive in a dry suit and that protection is the only comfort I get to exposing myself to the water there

Back
Top Bottom