GPO in the Pacific NW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy,

I have just a few questions. Are there any differences in size of the Octupi per location? How does the 44 degrees feel on your body compared to our 54 in Monterey? A friend once told me one reason the GPO is not found in Monterey Bay like up in the Pacific North West is due to temp and food sources. The colder the environment yields the crabs that they seek and control.

Thanks...

Hi Mike,

Sorry I don't know what factors affect size variation of GPO. Apparently there are some huge males, but I've yet to see one.

44F is quite a bit colder than 54F! We did a 120 minute dive at this site, but part was in the shallows with temps closer to 48F. It was a bit chilly at max depth, Argon, extra UG's, and the 12mm Otter Bay Hood really help :)!

Yes, they're one of the most fun attractions up here in the Puget Sound area. As for the water temp, if you have a dry suit with a decent undergarment it's not a problem. If you're diving wet...it depends on how strong your constitution is. I dove wet here for a good 2 years before getting my first dry suit, so it can be done.

Open invitation: Anybody who's coming up this way, let me know and I'll be happy to show you some of our better diving spots while you're here. Just put a note on here or PM me. I'm in the suburbs of Seattle and dive as much as I possibly can, so y'all come on over.

It's easy to fall in love with GPO's, so I couldn't resist revisiting Seattle and Flagpole last weekend :)! This time we encountered a bit of tidal current, but much better vis & so much life!

We were joined by a friendly Wolf Eel out for a swim & enjoyed a nesting GPO tending her eggs at about 77ft.

I spliced together a rough video with my little P/S camera to share some of the beauty.

At other sites around Seattle: We saw 4 GPO's on one dive, 3 were tending eggs, and many Rat Fish (one was stealing the leg off a red rock crab for it's dinner).

Back
Top Bottom