GPO in the Pacific NW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm up north diving in the Pacific NW at the moment & have fallen in love with all the GPO's :)! Each dive we see up to 6 of these spectacular Octopi. Several have been tending eggs.

Just wanted to share this magical encounter with a friendly GPO who was out for a stroll at about 70ft :).

Details! Details!

Ok :)

This little video clip was shot at a spectacular site just a few hours west of Seattle:

Pacific NW Scuba - Vancouver Washington / Portland Oregon - Flag Pole Point East Review

We lucked upon three GPO's out of their dens, quite a few in their dens, several Wolf Eels, etc :). Temp was 44F, max depth was 100ft, vis was dark and around 10-15ft.

If you're ever in the region - Flagpole is a must do!

Not to hijack your thread, Kathy, but HERE is another report and description of this site, with photos.

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the report & pictures. Looks like Flag Pole is just as spectacular on every dive :).

Glad you all made it out there too.

MORE reasons why I need to schedule a road trip north. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MORE reasons why I need to schedule a road trip north. Thanks!
Ha, Adeline and I were just talking about visiting Seattle this past weekend. The problem is time.

We may not have as many GPO's but they have been spotted at Breakwater, Still Water Cove in Sonoma, and Middle Reef at Lobos.

Kathy,

I have just a few questions. Are there any differences in size of the Octupi per location? How does the 44 degrees feel on your body compared to our 54 in Monterey? A friend once told me one reason the GPO is not found in Monterey Bay like up in the Pacific North West is due to temp and food sources. The colder the environment yields the crabs that they seek and control.

Thanks...

Colder temps increase dissolved oxygen. As octos have less efficient copper-based blood, they're very sensitive to temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 degrees is a WHOLE lot colder than 54 -- at 44, 45 minutes dives are pleasant, but 60 minute dives are not (for me). At 54, I'm easily good for an hour without argon, even.

Octopuses come in all sizes, and you can find big ones or little ones at many sites. Some sites are known for the little red octos, and baby GPOs (like Redondo Beach). Others are better known for adults (like our Cove 2 local mudhole).

Back
Top Bottom