Governor's Harbor, Eleuthera - Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medical1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Tampabay FL / Lightning & Hurricane Capital of the
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Rented a house by Palmetto Point for a week. Trying to find a local dive shop that has hyper filtered/Nitrox fills (32% to 36%) on the island. We will need aprox 4 Nitrox tanks & rental weights. Bringing our own regs, wings, BC's etc.

Any info on water temp, vis, depth, current would be appreciated. :06:

I might remember wrong, it's been 2 years, but I think you better plan on diving air. We had our own tanks with us, but I'm not sure about fills in Governors Harbor being available at all.

It's been a while for me in Governor's Harbour too ... the only dive shop that was there was Clear Water Dive Shop : Tel. 242-332-2146. It was in the main shopping center in the middle of town.

Forget about Nitrox ... plan on diving air.

There are 3 other facilities in the area that are private ... Club Med, Princess Keys in Bannerman Town (private island for Princess Cruise Lines) and a place called Viva Dive ... I can't remember the name of the resort where Viva dive is located, but it's a private gated deal from Italy (the instructor's name used to be Maximillian)... you can't get through the gate unless you're staying there (even if you're their Cressi-Sub sales rep).

The only other options would be to drive about 45 min up North and hop a ferry over to Harbour Island. Valentines's Dive Center is not far from the ferry dock. Their phone # 242-333-2309 ... but this is a long way to go for air. If you're going to Harbour Island this summer... say Hi to the 8 year old dock boy working his first summer job at the Marina ... my Son (I have an interesting history in the Bahamas).

There are a couple of places south of Governor's Harbour in Rock Sound that say they are dive shop ... but they only carry masks and fins (Symonette's Enterprises) ... I don't think you can get air in Rock Sound???

Hope this helps.

Dear Michael
There is no Nitrox on either Eleuthera or Harbour Island, just air.
Sincerely
Laura Bartenfelder
Valentine's Dive Center

We'll it looks like I be breating 21% while I'm in Eleuthera as there is no Nitrox available :11: Taking Bahamaair and the weight restrictions are going to make the trip interesting! Has anyone dove the train or some of the wrecks. ANY additional info would be helpful.

CAPT HOOK:
I might remember wrong, it's been 2 years, but I think you better plan on diving air. We had our own tanks with us, but I'm not sure about fills in Governors Harbor being available at all.

How did you bring your own tanks? Was this pre 9/11? Bahamaair has a 25lb per bag weight limit! Hell - my camera, flash unit & lenses weigh more then 25lbs :17:

Well it looks like bringing tanks is out :-( Bringing our own regs, wings, BC's etc. Looks like my first stop after landing at Goveners Harbor airport is to look for a shop to rent tanks. Any info on water temp, vis, depth, current would be appreciated.

CAPT HOOK:
I'm pretty sure Valentines has closed.

If they are then Laura needs to be made aware of it :eyebrow:

This is the e-mail I received today
"There is no Nitrox on either Eleuthera or Harbour Island, just air.
Sincerely
Laura Bartenfelder
Valentine's Dive Center

Looks like Clear Water Dive Center is my best bet on Eleuthera :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom