Got my ATX200, messed up hose routing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murrr77

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got my new Apeks ATX200 (yippie!). When I went to install my transmitter and Air2 hose I noticed that the 2nd stage is mounted on the left side instead of the right, and that the port is 1/2" for the primary. What the?

Are most of you that use this for single tank diving simply mounting the 1st stage (ds4?) upside down? I'm thinking that is the most "desirable", you still get the larger port on your primary, just the logo is upside down.

I've read some mount the primary on a 3/8" port and the backup on the 1/2". This doesn't seem to be ideal. Are there any ill effects to the upside down approach?

The 1/2" port is on the (your) right side. The first stage usually paired with the ATX200 second stage is the FSR, NOT the DS4. I have my primary on a 5' hose on the right 3/8" port and my back up on a 24" hose on the 1/2" port (22" hose for 1/2" port is impossible to find around here)—doesn’t make any difference. One can also fit a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor...

You can mount the first stage any way you want—there’s no “upside down.” The only reason NOT to have the FSR “upside down” would be because your HP ports will then be pointing up and away. So ideally, the FSR should have the Apeks logo “right way up” for single tank and turned to the side with the diphragm covers facing each other for doubles.

Ok, so this is the FSR... the only reason to not mount upside down is so the high pressure ports don't point up, I think I'm good mounting this way since I have a hoseless vytec.

One last question, on my old oceanic reg (delta3/dx4) the first stage didn't have a "soft spot", it looks like this could be a point of failure. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

The transmitter up in the air like that might be bothersome to you...or not. It would drive me crazy, I think. Check to see if you can you reach your valve with the transmitter up like that.

What is this soft spot of which you speak?

murrr77:
Ok, so this is the FSR... the only reason to not mount upside down is so the high pressure ports don't point up, I think I'm good mounting this way since I have a hoseless vytec.

One last question, on my old oceanic reg (delta3/dx4) the first stage didn't have a "soft spot", it looks like this could be a point of failure. Has anyone ever had a problem with this?

Ok, I am asuming that you are using the FSR. If you are using it “upside down,” then wouldn’t the 1/2" port be on your left? Another reason for me (and I am NOT trying to criticise you in any way) to have the HP ports pointing down is that I always dive with a SPG, even whwn I am using a wireless transmitter.

Anyway, I too am confused as to what you mean by a “soft spot.”

Oh, ok. I think the Oceanic DX4 has that, but it is under a hard plastic cover. (Theoretically) I guess the “soft spot” on the Apeks could be punctured. I think they designed it that way so that when using two FSR first stages with doubles, their “soft spot” is protected by being turned inward (facing each other). I have not heard of an FSR failure yet though.

OK, soft spot, the environmental sealing.

Well, really, even if it were punctured which would likely require trauma that would be giving you other more immediate problems, it would simply not be sealed anymore, which would not affect it's function in water above 40 degrees or so.

Easily replaced as well...I'd venture to say that you dont really need to worry about protecting this area, I've never heard or read about anyone damaging this disk...

The Oceanic DX4 also has a "soft spot" but it is covered with the plastic bottom. I think that upon closer inspection you will find that when setup the 1/2" port is on the correct side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom