Got GAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a pair of those. Inon Z240s. They're quite nice strobes, and Inon's TTL works great with my Olympus OM-D. At least with a little tweaking.

The built-in focusing light works fine on macro and "look at this cool critter-snap" type of shots. Problem is, I primarily shoot WA and CFWA, and for that kind of shooting I have to angle the strobes outwards to minimize backscatter, particularly when I'm using my FE lens. When I do that, the built-in focusing lights aren't pointing at the subject I try to focus on, and therein lies my problem.
I claim this IS an opportunity for MORE strobes. You need (at least) 2 more that point in! And some more arm hardware to mount them.

Why do most people think that 2 strobes is all you need? This is actually a serious question. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/strobes-and-lighting/518431-mounting-more-than-2-strobes.html

For close subjects, 2 is enough to eliminate harsh shadows. Coverage is another story, you should get a wide unit. If you are after GN/strength,
getting more strobes helps only a little (quadratic law: to double the power u need 4 and you win 1 stop, to quadruple the power you need 16!! to win a mere 2 stops...).
To gain more power, one must use stronger strobes. GN22 underwater (~3x the power of the z240) is possible.

Squeezing 3+ strobes on arms is futile, you should put them on tripods/dive buddies and use them creatively.

When it comes to GAS and UW photography I am a lost cause, however my daughter manages to take some superb shots with a Canon UW Point and Shoot using only a Sola 800 for lighting

Check post #456

I on the other hand hauled two housings and three strobes during my last Sulawesi trip

Not happy with the power output from my Sea & Sea 110 alphas especially shooting wide angle below 50M I bought myself an early Christmas present this week, two YS-D2s :D

Wide angle is tough on strobes, the D2 will need diffusors which scale them to z240 levels. I am also upgrading my s2000's here, getting a 2nd hand Nova - I hope I can manage the weight...

I claim this IS an opportunity for MORE strobes. You need (at least) 2 more that point in! And some more arm hardware to mount them.

Maybe later. Right now I've got more than enough managing two strobes with my FE, particularly if I also mount a video light for my GoPro on one of the arms. I thought it was a challenge to position the strobes correctly with a rectlinear WA, but avoiding backscatter with a fisheye is tough. It's a little easier on CFWA than WA, fortunately.

Well... yeah
Nikon DSLR & Nauticam housing
FE lens, rectilinear WA zoom, rectilinear prime & Zen glass dome port
105vr micro lens, port, nauticam smc & multiplier
two strobes, two focus lights
tons of batteries, chargers, arms, clamps, zoom/focus gears, port extensions, teleconverter, etc blah blah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom