Got certified today! And froze.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a mid-sized SUV lease right now (Nissan Murano) and it does fine holding all my stuff, but it is kind of a pain to try to sit in and change. Some of my other ideas:
-A bath mat of some sort to put on the ground so the feet don't go directly on the cold asphalt or dirt
-A small pop up canopy for the rain/snow (8 foot square at the most) or one of those portable 'beach cabanas' to cut down on the elements as well
-A used enclosed trailer that I could finish off inside to make a changing room as well as equipment hauling
-Bring my portable propane heater

Your little stove is a great idea Neilwood! I like that.
Sounds like a few good plans there. Love the idea of the enclosed trailer- kind of similar to my eventual plan of a dive van (motor home with minor adjustments for like a tank rack/ hanging for wet gear).

Whatever helps keep your own heat is worth thinking about - I definitely agree with the bathmat or similar. If your feet are warm, it helps a lot with the rest of you. Same with gloves and a hat. Even using a tattered old jacket over a wet (dry or wet) suit to minimise wind chill is worth it.

Even on a warm water dive, I found hot liquid after the dive to be very nice - the liveaboard would provide hot chocolate for the first dive of the day and the night dive with fruit juice for the others. I would have preferred the hot choc for all of them.

The beauty of that little stove is it takes up virtually no room at all so it (and the small gas can it uses) can be packed in the corner of a bag or in the trunk. It is also cheap.

Prior to diving dry, when my buddy and I were diving at the quarry and it would be cold we would go into the shower house and turn the hot water on and funnel it down the front like @dumpsterDiver was talking about. Could easily get two 45min dives in a day at about 46* and in the 50s topside.. that was also with a 5mm suit. But gone are THOSE days!!

Wish I had one of those shower houses... Next best thing is to bring 2-3 milk jugs filled with hot water wrapped in towels/blankets. Nothing feels better than a fresh water soaking with hot water after a chilling dive. Pour the hot water down your suit before and after your dive. Makes a big difference. Or you can tough it out so we all know how manly you are! :wink:

I'm always tempted to use our snowmobile trailer, it's heated and real nice but it's like 30ft long so a real hassle to bring along lol. One day I'll buy a small toy hauler for more remote locations because they are a camper with a garage in the back so could hang wet gear. Right now my truck is good enough, strip off my drysuit, throw wet gear in the box and enjoy heated seats and steering wheel on the drive home. I do have a tarp I put on the ground so I don't get muddy

My LDS is New England Ski and Scuba, and my 1st instructor was Woody Tinsley, my OW instructor was Tom Sullivan. Both great guys.

Had my first two OW dives yesterday. Day was beautiful, bright blue fall skies, 61 degrees Fahrenheit. Nice walk to the site (Bigelow Hollow State Park, Connecticut). Water temp: 49!!! Did the first two dives and completed all skills without incident. FROZEN AT THE END.

Went back today for the last two dives: Cloudy, windy, overcast, raining, 48 degrees Fahrenheit. Nice COLD walk to the same site. Water temp: 46!!!! Did both dives without incident. REALLY, REALLY, REALLY FROZEN AT THE END.

BTW: Henderson 7mm Aqua Lock wetsuit with 7mm hood, boots and 5mm gloves. As I type this I think my fingers are starting to feel again. :)

But, I'M CERTIFIED! :)

Congratulations! Keep learning.
My first checkout dive was at the South Racine Quarry in Racine, WI in November (40 years ago). Water temp was 35F. Every open seam in my rented 3/4 Inch wetsuit was a new thrill. When I took my mask off at depth the shock of the cold water prevented breathing long enough for my instructor to push the purge button so I would breath again. Cured me forever of diving in cold water.

LOL, now THAT'S cold. My lips got really cold too! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom