Got bent, preferred IWR to my local chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is 30/70 "conservative"?

What does "conservative" actually mean. What you describe is how the word is usually used in diving, but if by "conservative" you actually mean "safer," you may be wrong in that belief. There is not doubt that a GF high of 70 is safer than 80+. It is the GF lo of 30 that is of concern. In most modern diving thought, a GF that low is riskier than a higher one.

Evolving Thought on Deep Decompression Stops
Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World

I hear what you’re saying. What would you recommend?

Is 30/70 "conservative"?

What does "conservative" actually mean. What you describe is how the word is usually used in diving, but if by "conservative" you actually mean "safer," you may be wrong in that belief. There is not doubt that a GF high of 70 is safer than 80+. It is the GF lo of 30 that is of concern. In most modern diving thought, a GF that low is riskier than a higher one.

Evolving Thought on Deep Decompression Stops
Gradient Factors in a Post-Deep Stops World
I agree with you completely.

It sounds like IWR is going to be the first option for you given the status of the local chamber. I would recommend working with your dive club or buddies to get a more formal IWR protocol in place. I know IANTD does IWR training, so they might be a good resource to find out if someone localish can help out with that.
In-Water Recompression Provider

I hear what you’re saying. What would you recommend?
I am personally diving in the neighborhood of 60/75. I say "in the neighborhood" because I think the neighborhood is good, and I am willing to adjust to what the rest of the people with whom I am diving are doing. I cannot think of anyone I have dived with in the last two years diving less than 60.

I am personally diving in the neighborhood of 60/75. I say "in the neighborhood" because I think the neighborhood is good, and I am willing to adjust to what the rest of the people with whom I am diving are doing. I cannot think of anyone I have dived with in the last two years diving less than 60.

That’s interesting, so you think the deeper stops may have caused the problem?

Thank you very much for sharing!

@Akimbo
Consider moving threads like these to a dedicated experience section?
We all know what's in the books and what's written down in the emergency plans, but real life experiences are worth so much more.

That’s interesting, so you think the deeper stops may have caused the problem?
I cannot possibly tell that. It might be. It might not be. As I said, I got bent on a dive for which there simply should not have been a problem. In fact, for some reason I had decided to be extra careful that day. I did two NDL dives (admittedly to the edge of NDL) and did extended safety stops while breathing oxygen. I should not have had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom