GoPro3 or Point&Shoot with strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeavyWater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Trying to decide what would get a better shot, pulling stills from a GoPro3 video or a P&S (Canon Powershot SD1400) with a strobe....I'm thinking the later but if there is not much difference in the shots, I would think the GoPro would fit the bill as I can do video as well as it's compact for travel. Planning on getting my PADI cert in Thailand in February and wanting to bring along an underwater cam to capture some of the moments. What are you guys'/gals' thoughts? Both seem to be around the $300+ price range so cost is kind of moot.

Thanks!

1. You have to use a red filter on the GoPro as it has no white balance adjustment. No filter = blue photos. The filter is good for shallower depths.
2. The Canon you mention has no RAW capability but does have custom white balance capability which is a must for non-strobe shots. If you shoot video with the Canon you have to pre-set the white balance if that camera allows for that.

I would recommend finding some one else in Thailand to take some pics of you getting certified. I wouldn't try to be taking pics during my OW certification. I would strongly bet that the instructor or one of his/her buddies has a camera and can take some shots of you during the class.
Bill

Those are good things to know Gilligan...did not know about the red filter. You make a good point Bill...I want to have my own cam as I'll probably want to continue diving the day after we get certified :) but I'll definitely work with the instructor before hand to get some shots...thanks much for the advice guys..I think I'm going to go with the P&S with a strobe.

Cheers!

George

The day after you get certified is likely too soon to be messing with a camera. Even though you may be done with class, you'll still be figuring things out for awhile.

I am assuming you are getting your Open Water cert. I doubt the instructor will allow you to have a camera during the course.

If the class is not big and they have a DM assisting, you can ask the DM to take some shots but you have to remember the DM has a priority to help the instructor.

As Damselfish said, you won't be ready to be dealing with a camera immediately after being certified.

Those are good things to know Gilligan...did not know about the red filter. You make a good point Bill...I want to have my own cam as I'll probably want to continue diving the day after we get certified :) but I'll definitely work with the instructor before hand to get some shots...thanks much for the advice guys..I think I'm going to go with the P&S with a strobe.

Cheers!

George

Your February trip is not that far off. You don't have much time to practice or somewhat master the controls/settings on a camera plus the ones on an external strobe. You may be better off with a GoPro with the red filter. At least you will have some decent video versus a lot of unacceptable still shots due to lack of experience with the camera/strobe.

Take a look at the backscatter.com website for their red filter for the GoPro. You have to get the flat lens on the GoPro to avoid vignetting. You can get the entire rig from Backscatter but it is for a GoPro 1 or 2 not the 3.

Using a camera is way too distracting for a beginner. You must master buoyancy skills first. Learn to be a good diver first then take up photography. Trying to learn diving and U/W photography at same time could lead to serious incident. Most people need to do many dives before they are properly at home in the water.

Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom