GoPro3 Black Does Anyone Have Video With Manual White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The on-line manual at Gopro.com is a great first place to read and start...........

Not real manual white balance where you push a button to set the white balance.

GoPro marketing team is playing around with the term, manual white balance. In actuality you manually choose a fixed white balance color temperature. Choices are: 3000k, 5500k, 6500k or camraw. These options are only available in protune mode. In their defense, you can choose these settings UW on a dive to see which setting works best for your shot.

I recently posted a video where I used protune camraw for 90% of the shots. Did minor adjustments to contrast and brightness in editing.

Not real manual white balance where you push a button to set the white balance.

GoPro marketing team is playing around with the term, manual white balance. In actuality you manually choose a fixed white balance color temperature. Choices are: 3000k, 5500k, 6500k or camraw. These options are only available in protune mode. In their defense, you can choose these settings UW on a dive to see which setting works best for your shot.

I recently posted a video where I used protune camraw for 90% of the shots. Did minor adjustments to contrast and brightness in editing.

THANK YOU

R.Heap: Couldn't find any video in the manual :)

I have a couple of videos shot with protune camera raw white balance.

No filters or lights so they're not the most glamorous, but I'm simply amazed by the ability of the GoPro to capture reds at up over 100ft depth and bring them out in post.

[video=youtube;W7mCEFtPTEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7mCEFtPTEw[/video]

Gombessa:

Did you get down to 100 feet at Point Lobos? Here's what I got with the Go Pro 3 in about 80-85 feet. This was just north of you at Monastery Beach. Visibility was quite good, although the water was still slightly green/turquoise. I was surprised to see the video start pea-green soup as I have several short clips, some at the same depth. This was the only that had that effect, although it does dissipate shortly afterwards. The camera is set 1080/60FPS/Protune On/ RAW WB with the SRP Cyan filter. I have "not" made any color or resolution adjustments to the video, although I did use Corel Video X3 to shorten the original and convert to MP4 HD.

Would you make any color adjustment to this video? I've tried it with Cineform. However, I always find the original better than the "altered."

[video=youtube_share;6PmWVcDCeCA]http://youtu.be/6PmWVcDCeCA[/video]

Did you get down to 100 feet at Point Lobos?

Yep, Q-Tip sits at exactly 100ft depth, and in my video, the segment from 2:20 - 2:45 is at that depth. There's an obvious cut in that sequence that's taken with my other camera, I'm sure you can tell when it happens.

I was surprised to see the video start pea-green soup as I have several short clips, some at the same depth. This was the only that had that effect, although it does dissipate shortly afterwards.

Weird. That is PRECISELY how all of my cameras (including the H3B) perform on AWB. Is it possible this clip was not shot in camera raw WB? I have no idea why it would do this, and unless some actual environmental change occurred (you passed through a mass of algae, under kelp cover) I've not seen this happen on any of my shots while in camera raw (whereas it happens on 80-90% of my shots in AWB).

Would you make any color adjustment to this video? I've tried it with Cineform. However, I always find the original better than the "altered."

I think a lot of it is a matter of personal preference. Do you like your videos "true to what your eyes saw on the dive?" Or "enhanced through the magic of technology?" Having shot hundreds of videos with no color correction prior to getting my GoPro, my own bias is to take full advantage of the H3B's more powerful sensor and noise reduction and correct more, though I may be overcompensating.

I made a few quick adjustments to your video in Cineform and it's probably up to you to decide if it's truly any "better." One thing, I've never shot with filters, and I can say that nothing I was doing worked the way I thought it would...I think dealing with filtered video requires a different process that I'm just not aware of. However, your footage is clearly capturing more than enough red/magenta to bring out the colors and reduce the green cast if you want.

coAv37t.jpg

QNvJjXx.jpg

FWIW, this is the type of difference I now expect to see color-correcting the gopro (1440@30fps, protune camera raw, no video lights, no filter, 100ft depth):
PiWRS8g.jpg

As we all remember from our deep diving training there is no red left at 80 feet unless you have a light to bring it back.
Shooting at higher frame rate in dark conditions with a filter at a depth where the filter is not designed to work and adding to that the fact the water is actually pretty green and the filter is orange cannot help a great deal, in fact that footage is plain noisy
Below 80 feet if you really want to shoot you need as much light you need so no filters and a pair of strong video lights. Those clips corrected look unnatural and full of chroma noise would be better in black and white to be honest
You can't use equipment beyond the limits it is designed to work, you get different equipment that work in those conditions

Well, I think it depends on what you're trying to do. Some people really want to create a showcase video for their dives. Others are more interested in making a video log of the most interesting parts of the dive in the most convenient and unobtrusive way possible. More power to both. At one extreme, you can only get by with so much without a filter and significant lighting. At the other end, you can only do so much if you're trying to keep your rig compact and not have the videography start to subsume the actual dive. So one person's perspective of where the equipment's limits lie is really just that, and can be very different from another's.

He is operating a filter with a max working depth of 80 feet in dark waters that look pretty green
The 80 feet limit actually includes the depth plus your distance to the subject on a very bright day in very blue (cyan) water
in the conditions of that dove the filter is stopping to be effective way earlier than 80 feet and at that depth is only making matters worse by reducing the overall light available to the sensor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom