GoPro Silver Mounting Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shawnraup

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased my GoPro Hero3 Silver and I was looking for advice on how to mount it for Scuba diving. I checked out YouTube and there were several videos of people drilling their goggles and screwing them fast (which scares me), there were also some of people just using the head strap and adding a flotation drive to it in case it came off your head. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - if there is already a post on this sorry I didn't see it.

Thanks
Shawn

The easiest way is to get a lanyard ad hold it in your hand. Head mounting options are not useful.

I've found that mounting a video camera on your head isn't the best option. It's nice if you want to get a true "point of view" video, but it's not good if you actually want to get a good video of the interesting stuff. The problem is that your field of vision is very limited, so you end up always turning your head wildly to look around and you never get a clear shot of what's going on. Even if you make a point out of looking straight at your object of interest for a longer while to make a better video, you can do that only for so long. Plus, there's issues of the camera wobbling around, bubbles getting in the way, etc etc.

Try mounting it on your hand, wrist or arm. This way, you still have the hand free to use, but can also point the camera at certain things while being free to look around without disturbing the video.

I have only used my GoProHero3Black on 3 dives. Two at Ginnie Springs and once at Jackson Blue. All 3 dives were cave dives. I used the head strap and found it worked very well. Would be difficult to "pull and glide" with a camera in one hand.

Al

Back
Top Bottom