GoPro Scuba Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Parzdiver: You would be better off holding it in your hand than using the head mount. They just aren't very secure when moving against the water and every time you exhale your exhaust will come into the frame for a second or two.

Thanks for the advice. I took some advice from dumpsterDiver and built a "tray" from some PVC pipe. I have a number of adjustments to make on his recommendations (weights, drainage, etc). I have a second length of pipe if I want to make a second attempt.

111947d1325542413-dnys-dive-potion-9-playroom-goprotray.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing. I really like the idea of being able to use the tray as a tripod. It will be cool to setup camera then back off and let the fish come out to check it out. Will probably lead to some great footage. I can't wait to get my hands on one of them.

SRP were kind enough to send me a pre release test version of the tray about a month ago to give some feedback on the design. I have used the tray setup for a few dives so far and it has worked great for me. It does look great and is very light weight with many mounting options with a clever handle setup allowing you to adjust these to suit even underwater very easily if needed.

I have had up to 4 gopro cameras mounted on the tray with no issues mounting 2 on top and 2 upside down, there's plenty of options here for mounting all types of cameras and accessories.

The final retail version has had a few modifications made since the version I have but the basic shape and design is the same, SRP have said they have reduced the weight even more even though I had no issues with the weight so this will just make it more practical to bring on trips.

I had a few different grips to try and used them in all sorts of configurations and also the mounting is now all tool free which makes things much easier. Theres a few more mounting options in the final version too so I look forward to giving that a try and I will be doing a full review of the retail version after I give it a try. I will also be testing it with a pair of video lights in the next week or so and will make a post here when that is done.

My last 2 comparison videos where filmed with the tray and stability was very good for me, easily the best way of mounting a camera and thats why trays have been used for a while. The shape of this one does have the advantage of using it as a basic tripod on land and underwater which is a good advantage over the more traditional trays. Anyone that has a blurfix adapter knows the professional quality finish SRP provides and even my early model of the tray was of a very high quality. The final retail version looks even better and everyone Ive dived with that saw the setup wanted one lol.

On the dives I used for the footage there was a fair amount of surge and I didn't shoot many shots where I wasn't moving if any. There was so much down there to see that I just kept on swimming along filming everything I saw, as I must look a little scary to the little creatures they do like to keep on moving so I just follow them along lol. It would be great if fish stayed still and paused for a bit but I haven't seen many that do this where I dive.

For me the stability was great and its easy enough to use all modes on the gopro 1 and 2 cameras as keeping the camera still enough is no issue. More advanced divers will get much better results then me as I'm only a beginner still when it comes to underwater video, each dive I get a little better but its always a learning experience for me.

Here I used 3 gopro cameras (2xHD2 1xHD1) mounted on the tray 2 on top and one upside down underneath which will show the lower angle shots. This lower camera was sometimes dragging through the weeds and bumping into stuff as I was framing with an LCD on one of the top mounted cams and kind of forgot this was there most of the time lol. The lower angle one actually produced some cooler angles though which let you get down very close to the bottom and in amongst the weeds.

This video is just showing a few shots in 1080P modes of both cams with and without filters.

[video=youtube;oilEQox76-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oilEQox76-k[/video]

Here is the same days footage showing all the modes of the cameras side by side.

Here is a couple of longer shots just showing how the stability is in general use swimming through a dive site. This was basically the raw footage used in the comparison tests and I think its cool as it shows just how much there is to see at this site. I just moved along filming everything I saw with some very stable footage but other times I was just looking for other things when I may not have been actually targeting anything in particular but kept the camera rolling.

Also Thanks to SRP and a few other sponsors I will be helping to run an underwater video contest giving away a full gopro HD2 SRP setup with Blurfix, Tray, Filters and a video Light. Many more prizes will be up for grabs and this will be run to raise money for Sea Shepherd conservation society with a donation entry voting setup with all money raised going to them. More details will be released soon regarding this contest as we are still finalizing the donated prizes and contest conditions.

Last edited:
I have a few more pictures of the new lighting platform at AquaPro HD but this is my favorite position of the SRP Underwater Tray! Product images of the system with different light configurations coming soon. Dual light system for under $300.00. Including The Tray!
1SRPTRY.jpg
Click image
I'm very excited about this little gem!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom