GoPro Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texas23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I am thinking about purchasing a gopro for our upcoming dive trip. I am hoping to get some advice in regards to the accessories I will need in order to dive. I would prefer the stick that I can mount the camera to instead of a chest or head mount. Can someone please give me a list of what else I will need to buy?

Thank you!

You would need the following

1. Mount (Whatever type you prefer)
2. Filter
3. Video Light (1 or 2)
4. Light mount
5. Extra GoPro batteries
6. GoPro charger
7. Extra micro sd cards

I think there is a difference between need and would be nice and the difference can be quite a lot of money.

In order to dive with a GoPro all you need is the GoPro, an underwater housing, which most come with, and some means of mounting it. Personally I use a grenade grip with a strap fitted to it, which allows me to hand hold it, or clip it off and it doesn't hang down very much.

If you are doing fairly shallow dives in good visibility and light this is all you need. You may find it frustrating if you are doing long dives dives on a boat, or multiple dives before coming back to shore that your battery life won't last very long and you may not have time or facilities to recharge between dives, and likewise if you cannot download the videos between dives then you may want extra micro sd cards

If you are diving deeper, or in poor light then yes, you will need some form of video light in order to get good results, and filters can help, but if you have the right software you can post process the video and create the same effect as a filter without losing the light from fitting a filter. (a filter will correct colour a bit, but at the expense of loss of light received at the sensor - it doesn't put colour back, but removes a portion of the extra light at certain frequencies which balances the video back to a more 'natural' colour).

So needs GoPro, housing, and mount.

Nice extras lights, extra batteries, extra memory cards and filters.

If you haven't dived with a video before then it might be best to concentrate on getting used to the camera and controls without worrying about filters and extra lights to start off with, the basic camera without the extras will do a reasonable job on its own.

Just my thoughts - Phil.

I just finished buying the GoPro and the accessories.

Depending on how you want to do it I would suggest looking at the SeaLife set up for putting it on a pole. The pole has a mount on it designed for the SeaLife Sea dragon light.

AquaPod | Sealife Cameras
Sea Dragon Mini 600 | Sealife Cameras

You will still need stuff CosFragger listed above. I would also consider the backscatter 3.1 Flip filter, this will help bring the colors out.

FLIP3.1 Underwater Color Correction System with DIVE Filter for GoPro Hero3 & Hero3+

I haven't used mine yet but have read a lot about the color filters, they should also be very helpful.

what Phil_C said is about the best advice you can get at this point. If you want to add more items it all depends on how much cash you want to drop.

That said, after trying many different ways to take pictures and video underwater I would highly recommend some type of mounting that (depending on what you really want out of it) either A) makes it hands free or B) gives you the ability to get better video by allowing the camera to be more stable.

I have tried hand held, head mounted, clipped with a retractor and various other methods. I have achieved the best footage (stability wise) using a pole mounting set up. I did a lot of research and ended up getting an extendable metal pole mount ( http://xshot.com/products/xshot-2 ) that is either this exact model or pretty close. Benefits of this set up that I appreciate: 1) collapsed it is easy to pack and travel with and also takes up very little space in your dive bag 2) you can put a retractor on the end of it and clip it to your BC, just grab and extend out to use, never unclipping the retractor and therefore never detaching it from your person underwater 3) the little simple pivot on the end of it lets you easily go from shooting forward to shooting backwards and taking video of yourself swimming around 4) the model I bought is all steel, I just rinse it off well, let it dry and then throw it back in my bag after I dive it.

I have had one of these for a couple years and so far it has held up well.

Hope that helps.

Happy diving!

I think there is a difference between need and would be nice and the difference can be quite a lot of money.

In order to dive with a GoPro all you need is the GoPro, an underwater housing, which most come with, and some means of mounting it.

Phil_C, I just can't help myself from commenting further.....We're GoPro users, don't we need everything? It's kinda like one scuba tank and a BC, and a computer, .....oh and a few spare tanks, a backup computer, spare mask tucked in the BC pocket, spare fins, 2-3 regulators with spare tanks on a side-mount, backup exposure suit, air compressor, oh and a little wee 5000 square foot home on the ocean with a wee little 300 foot dock and a 40 foot dive boat with staff.....

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 09:51 PM ----------

Hello, I'm also a GoPro newbie. Hope to learn a lot from here :) yey!

Allicepattinson you're in the right spot with newbies and pro's, glad to have you. I'm a newbie with some negative experiences I'm working on correcting by scouring these posts. I'm used to using a Canon, so the optics have been quite a challenge for me, and I've never been really good, but the work is the fun when I see it payoff some day with a video I'm proud of! Take care!

Last edited:
I use a telescoping pole. I am very,very, glad I just got a red filter (polar pro) for a recent trip to Cozumel. Big improvement over no filter especially below 15 feet. Video light was not needed as water was clear and sunlit but was useful in swim throughs and nite dives (I use a cheap but excellent Morph back-up light with video head) BUT serious video lights can cost way more than the camera !! You need to practice with the rig you will use if only in a pool. I recommend some kind of leash or attachment for camera and filter and pole. I used Moisture absorbing inserts. Make sure you get the best and appropriate micro sd cards for your camera. One push video seems to be the only way to go with the Gopro and underwater video. I wouldn't bother using it as a camera for u/w. I found the super wide setting too blurry at the edges but thats my preference.

I found a lap top computer to be a big help in reviewing that day's videos back in the hotel and making the adjustments to settings and critiquing my own filming techniques. Plus its fun to go over the dive highlights. Don't forget..filming makes you a way less attentive buddy and a generally less aware diver so get the diving basics down pat THEN worry about filming. Dont go crazy chasing fish and neglecting gauges and buddy. Maybe make a dive or 2 without camera first. Enjoy !

A couple of suggestions from a fellow newbie (just bought mine in late December and used on my first dive trip in Roatan a few weeks ago).

This is a helpful article from Backscatter. Obviously they lean towards buying their filters and a lighting set-up, but still helpful advice regarding settings, what memory cards work best, etc.
Underwater Camera Articles: A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3 / Hero3+ Underwater

Some more recommendations from personal experience:

- Use the camera a few times before you go, either in or out of the water. Depending on what package you buy, it will come with all types of accessories. You'll find that you don't need to bring most of these on a dive trip.

- Head or chest mount - it really depends on what you want to use it for. I used a chest mount in Costa Rica for zip lining and white water rafting and it was great......activities where you needed your hands free for doing other things....and where I knew I would get some cool footage without having to aim/focus on specific things. For diving where you likely want to focus in on specific critters.....using chest/head mount will give you some interesting footage and probably a lot of throwaway footage. This is personal preference - when I put together a video from diving, I tend to include lots of short clips on the key highlights of the weekend or the trip vs. just recording and sharing entire dives. Also depends on the diving (searching for small critters where action/shooting is more occasional...or a big action shark/manta dive where static might work better, etc.)

- If going hand-held, you'll be happier if you have some sort of mount - pistol grip, pole or tray or some type. Better for control, stability, etc. You will also need some sort of lanyard/leash/clip set-up

- Extra batteries...the number of which depends on the logistics of your trip, how many dives you expect to do per day, time between dives (do you have time to charge, etc.) and whether you want the camera available for every dive. On my recent trip we were doing 5 dives/day (morning boat trip for 2 dives, afternoon boat trip for 2 dives and night dive) - I brought 4 GoPro batteries on the trip, as I wanted to have the ability to use the camera on every dive. I was going through 1 battery per dive as I was using the add-on back-pack display/viewfinder, which is a battery hog....I assume you may get multiple dives out of 1 battery without the viewfinder. So I would have a fully charged battery in the camera for morning dive 1, an extra to change out for dive 2. In the afternoon I would charge the morning batteries and take 2 fully charged batteries on the boat. In addition to the batteries, I bought the separate GoPro battery charger, that let's you charge 2 batteries at once without having to use the camera for charging.

- Filter = really helps with the results. I bought the Backscatter 3.1 flip system and used it on my recent trip - easy and really helped the results.

- Back-pack display = obviously really helpful if you are intent on focusing on specific critters and/or framing shots (video or still). If you want to view video you've shot while on your trip, you can use it for that. Cons are another $80 and it is a battery hog. Obviously you don't need it if you are just using static chest or head mount. The backpack requires using a different housing door (I think this comes with most packages with the Hero 3+), since the housing needs to be bigger to accommodate the slightly added bulk of the backpack.

- Moisture absorption packs = some folks don't use these in warmer climes; that said, there will be moisture around, particularly if you are changing batteries on a rocking boat and the housing isn't fully dried out between dives. I use 1 on every dive (I would re-use over multiple dives unless they were getting saturated)....maybe overly conservative, but my choice.

- Light(s) = this is the most expensive of the add-ons, but along with the filter will be the add-on that will enable you to get the most color correct and clear footage when shooting things in the 0-10 foot range. If you plan on doing night dives, a decent video light can also serve as your primary light...and when mounted on a tray with the camera allows better control, light aim and keeps at least one hand free when you need it. I used this set-up from Sea Life - works pretty well. I brought an extra rechargeable battery for the video light as well...was able to get 2 dives per battery.
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/accessories/sea-dragon-1200

- Memory cards - read the Backscatter article above for recommendations.

- Something for cleaning the camera lens and housing view port - microfiber cloth or lens cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom