GoPro - housing failure at depth & rubber bands??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, every dive I go on with my GoPro the chamber will compress and if the latch isn't held down with an elastic band it will unlatch itself. When I begin to ascend to surface, the door will pop open (as the latch has popped off). My latch will get loose around the 40' mark, and deeper... freaked me out the first time! I had to hold the latch in place until I reached the surface the first time....

Gotta use an elastic band - I use a nice thick one, like the big ones you find on broccoli stalks :wink: Better to be safe than sorry.

I've had my latch come open at 80 feet on one occasion in grand Turk on the wall.
Scared me as I had just gotten the camera and saw it flopping around and thought it was flooded.
Reattached the latch and was fine. Phew !!! Got lucky...
Ever since then I keep a few extra thick rubber bands in my save a dive kit.
Haven't had a problem after that.

Definately use a rubberband!! I just returned from a week long dive trip and lost my new GoPro on the first dive! I was climbing back into the boat and did not notice the latch had come off and it only took a small bump as I was climbing the ladder and the housing popped open and the GoPro fell out and to the bottom of the ocean and was lost and ruined.

We had two other GoPro's on that trip and so we used a rubber band on every dive after that. I had considered using a rubberband before because I noticed the latch was loose on a test dive I did, but like everyone else that has commented, the pressure kept it closed and the latch re-tightened as I surfaced so i didn't worry about it opening. I learned my lesson the hard way. Always use a rubber...band!

Hmmm...has anyone with this problem notified GoPro? I just got one so I will use an elastic hair tie to hold it closed. Works well as an extra strap keeper for my computer and doesn't get sticky or degrade in salt water.

Thanks for the valuable tip.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about flooding of the Go-Pro camera. We've gone to the trouble of sourcing an elastic band material that is sized perfectly and will stand up to the abuse of the marine environment for much longer than a "rubber band"..

mrsgph_exp.jpg

MAKO Rubber Strap for GoPro Camera Housing

Attachments

• mrsgph_sml.jpg
    mrsgph_sml.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 322
You need a cheaper shipping option for the bands. Like, put in envelope and mail. :p $2.50 for a 3 pack and the cheapest shipping option is ground for $12 bucks.

Hmm. Tinley Park is right next door. :)

You need a cheaper shipping option for the bands. Like, put in envelope and mail. :p $2.50 for a 3 pack and the cheapest shipping option is ground for $12 bucks.

Hmm. Tinley Park is right next door. :)

Thanks for bringing this situation to our attention. This is a new product; most all of our customers have ordered the elastic bands in conjunction with a camera and/or other gear. Under these circumstances, the shipping cost for the bands themselves is zero, because our automated system calculates the shipping costs based on the other product(s).

However, we appreciate you highlighting those situations where a diver might be ordering just the bands in order to retrofit an existing camera. When this occurred, the UPS minimum charges were way out of line. We apologize for not catching this on our own.

We've taken the steps to create a new shipping process for these bands. Now when ordered separately, we'll send them in a padded envelope using a USPS flat rate, bypassing UPS and their minimum charges.

The handling and package and shipping costs for such an item cannot be ignored. Our system has been modified to charge a flat rate of $3.50 for shipping of any number of bands ordered.

We will continue to ship the bands for free when included with the order of other MAKO products.

Once again, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom