GoPro Hero3 announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but one point i really don't like. MicroSD Cards. I have no other use for these cards in other gear and i don't like to buy some extra cards just for the gopro.
I didn't notice the MicroSD card requirement until you pointed it out.
That stinks, I have no other use for a MicroSD Class 10 card other than for the GoPro.

Better buy the MicroSD card now before the demand drives up the cost of these already expensive cards.

SWEET looking new Latching system........much more robust than on the Hero2

Also, A lot of these questions (will a hero 2 and hero 3 both fit in the 3D housing? - answer is no) are all answered on the GoPro Website if you read through it............

Attachments

• LCDTouchBacPac_683x426_1.jpg
    LCDTouchBacPac_683x426_1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 12,844
Last edited:
the batteries are different than the ones in the Hero2 -- the Hero2 is 1100 mAh at 440 mA (1100 / 2.5hrs). The battery listed in the new Hero3 (black is one i looked at) is 1050 mAh. (no posted battery life info on site yet)

I'm not falling for it. My original GoPro Hero HD with my investment in
accessories is working just fine!

GoPro Hero HD
GoPro Dive Housing
LCD Backpac
extra battery (never use it)
Modified SeaLife tray
Intova Wide Angle torch and adapter
adding soon:
Intova IFL WA Zoom w/arm
SRP Slip over filter as soon as available

SWEET looking new Latching system........much more robust than on the Hero2

It looks to be the same, just wider. I would still put a loop of bungee around it! At the cost of 5 cents and half a second to put it on, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm really happy to see a 3-way pivot arm - no more frankensteining as much pieces together!

So, any thoughts about how the new GoPro housings will compare to the Backscatter housing?

RockyHeap:
the silver doesn't give you anything but the wifi and dive housing included

By the description and pictures on the GoPro site, it seems that all 3 models have wi-fi and the housing with flat lens. Am I wrong?

Anybody knows the best way to put a red filter on that new housing?

I have the Hero 2 with modified flat lens, and put a round filter inside the housing, but had some issues with the filter not covering the entire image.

Thanks

So, any thoughts about how the new GoPro housings will compare to the Backscatter housing?

The Backscatter housing (which I have) is the only one I believe that has a 55mm threaded fitting in front of their flat lens (I'm not sure of SRP or other housings, but I love being able to thread filters on/off it and not just slip on, whether above or below water) threaded filter = solid mount

IMHO, the flip up Backscatter filter and SRP for the Hero 2 camera just became obsolete regardless of price (everyone had their panties wadded up over the release of the SRP filter and pricing) wah.

the hero2 is still a solid platform, it just got a bigger brother is all. I love the fact that a touch screen LCD and Wifi comes with the Black Hero3, on top of all the other performance improvements.

In Fact, I love the new Hero3 Top End BLACK EDITION specs so much I just pulled out the Visa Card and bought one on their pre-order sales. Should be shipped middle of November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try and give a full review compared to the Hero2 that I'm very familiar with to share on ScubaBoard and fellow GoPro Addicts.

They're selling out fast, so if you want one before Christmas, I suggest giving GoPro a Call NOW..........I was on hold for 10-15+ minutes just to make the purchase.

---------- Post Merged at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:31 PM ----------

the batteries are different than the ones in the Hero2 -- the Hero2 is 1100 mAh at 440 mA (1100 / 2.5hrs). The battery listed in the new Hero3 (black is one i looked at) is 1050 mAh. (no posted battery life info on site yet)

yes the new battery is different, as well as the camera/cord connector for recharging through a USB port via cable, so.......the old GoPro2 style recharge cable won't mate-with the new GoPro3 camera, nor versa-visa.

according to the salesman at Gopro, the old GoPro2 LCD screen will work on the new GoPro3, but limited functionality of the GoPro3 Touchscreen if you try to use it on the GoPro2.

I bought a GoPro3 Touchscreen with my new GoPro that'll ship in a month, so I'll figure it all out then and I'll just have one for each camera my 2 and new 3.

Last edited:
Am I remembering you right as someone who already had a review copy of the new SRP filter? So it's not a direct fit onto this new housing then? Wow. I wonder how that will impact SRP with their forthcoming release. So most existing filters would need an adapter of some sort? I imagine adapters would hit the market soon enough, but it's a consideration.

I do have some of the early SRP filters as I was one of the testers. The thing is nobody actually has the new hero 3 camera yet outside the press kits given away at launch and GoPro themselves so its not certain, the new flat lens is a bit smaller so most likely the current HD1 and HD2 filters will need an adapter or a new version to fit the smaller lens properly.

So - the reason I ask is I have a birthday at the end of next week, and my present from my in laws is a LCD bacpac for my hero 2. I know this because they ask my wife for suggestions and my wife, in turn, asks me :) I'm looking forward to playing with it! So to use it with a hero 3 what combo of housing and back door should I use? Does the new hero 3 case accept the backdoor that comes with the bacpac? Said backdoor was made with the hero2 dive housing in mind of course.

Thanks again. Your insight is appreciated!

The LCD bacpac will work in both models but in their own housings, Im not sure if the backdoors are new or not but by the look of them they look the same to me but Im not sure about that yet.

There is also a new touchscreen LCD bacpac being released that works in the hero3 but there is a note
*Limited compatibility with original HD HERO and HD HERO2 cameras, requires firmware update.

Back
Top Bottom