GoPro Hero3 announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:( The new touch lcd bacpac says it is backwards compatible, so I'm hoping the reverse is true.

I wonder what that manual white balance means? Does it mean custom white balance that you can set on a slate or just white balance pre-sets such as sunny, cloudy, underwater that are not that useful?

Exposure lock still a significant missing feature though to make this a proper underwater system

Anyone want to buy a GoPro two?

For me, it really does depend on how much backwards compatibility there is between accessories before I consider selling mine for an upgrade. If gopro are heading the way of apple with a new model every year and poor legacy support, then I think I will skip this one and wait for the 4. I can't afford to throw everything out and start again annually. I think Apple is making the same mistake with its current business model that it did in the 90s. I really dislike vendors that do this. The better handling of low light is the big temptation here for me, I must admit.

For me, it really does depend on how much backwards compatibility there is between accessories before I consider selling mine for an upgrade. If gopro are heading the way of apple with a new model every year and poor legacy support, then I think I will skip this one and wait for the 4. I can't afford to throw everything out and start again annually. I think Apple is making the same mistake with its current business model that it did in the 90s. I really dislike vendors that do this. The better handling of low light is the big temptation here for me, I must admit.

I agree with you 100% that's why don't like Sony products.

If gopro are heading the way of apple with a new model every year and poor legacy support, then I think I will skip this one and wait for the 4. I can't afford to throw everything out and start again annually. I think Apple is making the same mistake with its current business model that it did in the 90s. I really dislike vendors that do this.

You want a technology company like GoPro to stop releasing new cameras as sensors get better? Your old camera (or smartphone or tablet or computer) doesn't suddenly stop working the day a new one is released...

You want a technology company like GoPro to stop releasing new cameras as sensors get better? Your old camera (or smartphone or tablet or computer) doesn't suddenly stop working the day a new one is released...

No, and that's not what I said. With a product like this, that has a number of relatively expensive optional extras, I prefer a product that has some backwards compatibility with peripherals. Bacpacs are One example. I'm also interested, as another example, if existing filters made to fit the present gopro housing will fit the new dive housing for this new model. The forthcoming SRP filter is a case in point. It has been a long time in development and is eagerly anticipated, yet might be redundant overnight if the new dive housing has different dimensions. There is a barrier to purchase for me if upgrading the camera also means needing to upgrade all peripherals which, on aggregate, may well exceed the cost of the camera itself. Good design, for me, is absolutely about embracing new sensor tech etc - but it is also about respecting an existing user base with well considered modularity (within reason). You can maximise profit by requiring everything to be upgraded along with the core machine. But a smarter route (imo) is to keep peripheral compatibility. I frequently upgrade my PC box. If i needed to upgrade monitors and keyboards and usb devices each time too, I would pace my purchases differently. This is why I raised the question. I can see the reason behind changing the memory card size to suit a smaller case, for example. But what else will need repurchase? The camera itself is only a part of the kit many loyal existing customers have invested in. All I am saying is that it's an issue that will heavily influence my purchasing decision to purchase here or purchase a different system in a year or two. I simply cant afford to repurchase everything annually. I used to be an early adopter of tech products, but my purchasing patterns have shifted with time. Corporate philosophy towards legacy customers is important to me. Brand loyalty is a two-way street. This isn't a criticism of gopro, because I don't have enough information to form a decision yet.

Last edited:
I wonder what that manual white balance means? Does it mean custom white balance that you can set on a slate or just white balance pre-sets such as sunny, cloudy, underwater that are not that useful?

Exposure lock still a significant missing feature though to make this a proper underwater system

Only Info regarding white balance atm is this for both black and silver models.

Auto, Cam Raw, 3000K, 5500K and 6500K white balance modes

I have heard full manual too but not sure how that would be implemented and that's an unconfirmed rumor even though its from someone that should know quite well. I will try and find out more info regarding the wb as its one of the weakest parts of current GoPro cameras underwater, some control is better then none but full manual would be best "cam raw" may be good to just set wb in post possibly.

The new camera actually fits into the same housing I have been told, not that you'd want or need to really do that as it comes with a flat lens for underwater use already.

The old bacpacs are compatible but obviously the WiFi bacpac is pointless as its built into all the new range of Hero3's. If you have a hero2 I dont see any reason to get anything other then the Black edition as the only difference is a thinner size and built in WiFi to the current Hero2.

People complaining about new cameras coming out, there is no need to buy each one that comes out. If your happy with what you've got it will work just as well tomorrow as it worked yesterday.

Marty, I don't hear anyone complaining about new cameras coming out! Ha.

Great news that it will fit the old dive housing. I imagine some sort of spacer will be needed Given it is thinner. Wifi is a big plus. When you say there is no need for the old housing, does that mean the default new housing is rated to the same depth as the existing dive housing?

Do you know if Aussie distributors will have this, or is the best way to preorder it here via the main gopro site?

No worries was just speaking in general there regarding new cameras coming out. :D

The new housing has a flat lens and is also rated to the same depth plus it has an improved latch system so if you get a hero 3 you would most likely just use the stock housing.

Filter wise I still really like the Blurfix for land use with screw in filters and also underwater but that adapter wont fit the new housing as is but the new filter shouldn't need too many changes to work with this housing, so once the guys get the new housing in their hands they should be able to make a new mount for the new housing pretty easy using the same method.

The old housing just wouldn't work with bacpacs as the camera is much thinner so you wouldn't get access to the side buttons on the LCD with the new hero 3 housing.

Not sure about local stock but as with all GoPro stuff in the past it takes a month or so normally to make to to the official sellers. I haven't heard expected shipping dates yet for OZ but will try and find out if there is any new regarding when to expect our local stock.

Back
Top Bottom