GoPro Hero2 with Backscatter Housing at Bonne Terre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

testpilot58d

Registered
Reaction score
Well first off, Bonne Terre Mine was incredible! We did 5 dives in 2 days. Avg Depth 55', Avg BT 55 min, Avg Temp...exactly 58 degrees every dive. I dove in a 5 mil Henderson with 3 mil gloves and hood, but I'm used to diving cold in the St. Lawrence. I was cold at the end of each dive, but the surface interval was a nice warm up. If you are going, would def recommend diving dry or a 7 mil.

The Staff was VERY professional and safety conscious. If you get the 5 dive package, be advised that each dive gets progressively more complex, with dive 5 (Trail 6) being a LOT of overhead in tunnels that were VERY dark. Again, Bonne Terre is very safety conscious and had 3 staff members with our group of 5 for this final dive. Dives 1-4 were just a pure visual treat. The water is crystal clear and the staff shows you a wide array of artifacts left throughout the mine.

Finally the video.

The backscatter housing worked as advertised. Video was razor sharp (IN GOOD LIGHTING) be advised ahead of time that the video turned out very dark and I had to lighten it significantly in final cut pro which introduced the graininess.

No music, nothing fancy, just a document of our dives.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqUdJ-zE2QQ

The video can't be found with the link provided. You may want to post a new link.

I can't wait to see the vid!

hmmm..I don't know. It's not set to private. I logged out of you tube, and I can click on the link and view it.... I'll try to figure out what's wrong. My apologies.

Great vid and dive info, thanks for posting it. I think I would have to be in dry suit, brrrr....

Awesome Vid - we are headed there in November! Did you use any filter on the camera? How did you mount it?

Freston/Zesty, thanks! No filter. I brought a tray, but ended up doing what another SB member suggested and mounted it to the top of my Pro-V8 video light. The camera/light combo didn't work well as the beam was too focused in the center of the video due to the front of the light being a cpl inches forward of the lens. It made for a steady way to hold it, and I had a light to use when I wanted to look at something though. The only shot where I used the light was on the staircase. It makes for a nice sharp image when illuminated, but you can see what I mean about the spotlight effect in the video.

Thanks so much for sharing! I just got my Hero2 in the mail last week and am very anxious to try it this weekend. This gets me super excited!

Were you able to try the Hero2 with the standard housing? Is it still as blurry as the old GoPro Hero cameras underwater?

-Patton

Back
Top Bottom