GoPro Hero2 editing summary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXreefer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading through old threads and searching the net for an all-in-one solution for editing video. I haven't found any one location that says, this is the best procedure...

If a thread or blog exists to point me in the right direction, please let me know.

I'm not against paying for a piece of software to accomplish this, but I cannot afford a full blown suite of software. A few bucks no problem.

If anybody knows of a source or has a list of steps and software needed post up.

What qualifies as 'a few bucks?' Final Cut Pro X is a steal at $299.99. If that is too much, and you have a PC, Lightworks is free and a pretty solid editing system. If you have a Mac, you're stuck with iMovie or GoPro's own Cineform Studio. You can also use Adobe's Creative Cloud and rent Adobe Premiere Pro through that; I think it is $50/month.

I recently bought Adobe Premiere Elements and it seems to work well. It is less expensive than its big brother.

Not entirely sure what you're looking for, sorry.

There are a variety of editing programs available in the free to $300 range that can be used for basic editing---premier elements, pinnacle 16, sony vegas...

The free Cineform software from GoPro is used to trim clips and do some color/exposure correction and, if you're doing 3D like me, to combine the left and right clips into 3D clips.

Beyond that, video editing is...and my appologies if this is more basic than you're looking for...a matter of selecting and trimming the clips to length, arranging them in the order you like, creating transitions between them, adding titles and sound.

The editing programs I've worked with have an area of the screen that displays/lists the clips availble for use in your video, one or two preview pane where you can watch either the clips or the video you are working on, and a time-line area.

My work flow consists of

(extra 3D step: combine the left and right clips into 3D clips in cineform and adjust their vertical alignment---cineform often gets the vertical alignment wrong)

editing the length of the clips---either in one of the preview modes or by dragging the clip to the time line and trimming it there. If you are shooting continuously you have to break the continuous clip into smaller ones---the software I use (Pinnacle 16) has a utility that does this automatically splitting it into shorter clios of user specified length)

place the trimmed clips in order in the time line---basically a drag and drop.

defining the transition between the clips (optional if an abrupt change is acceptable). I mostly just use a simple cross fade---first clip fades out while the second fades in.

Once I have a rough cut of the clips in order I watch it and edit ruthlessly to bring the total length to the 4 to 6 minute length---sometimes the hardest thing to do.

When I'm done with the video I record some music (most folks use royalty free music that comes with the software or is available on line) and add it on a separate time line.

Finally I add titles. I make a point to explicitely say it's me playing the music in the end titles 'cause someone made a copywrite challenge to one of my recordings that was resolved when I pointed out it was me.

Some folks also add text or talk over to point out interesting things during the video.

When this is all done, export to an MP4 and up load to you tube. You tube has some editing tools, and a stabilizer that one of my friends swears by. If you use their stabilizer you have to add the titles after the fact in you tube or they will bounce arround.

I tried them all and imo the best value/performance is by far sony movie studio platinum 12 (v12 because of gpu acceleration) for around 40-50 on ebay. free 30 day trial also.
Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite Overview

and this is a great tutorial. it uses aftereffects (amazing program just very $$$) but can be applied to any program.
[video=youtube_share;UGthOhEMSYs]http://youtu.be/UGthOhEMSYs[/video]

There is no "best procedure", as has already been said it's a matter of finding one you like. I trialled several editors and ended up getting CyberLink PowerDirector which I found to be very user freindly and easy to learn for someone who had never been near an editor before. Vegas, Premiere etc no doubt have more features, I found them far too cluttered and complicated. PD will edit the MP4 files directly (no conversion) so it is an all-in-one solution. Give a few of them a try.

Back
Top Bottom