GoPro HERO13 Black was announced few hours ago!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion is that the Action 4 has good hardware but the software side is unpolished. And that software is what makes the biggest difference, as there is a ton of work that happens between what the sensor records and what hits the memory card. It is part of the reason why Insta360's Ace Pro was able to make a big splash despite having a clearly inferior sensor and processor. Their algorithms allow it to put out a better straight from the camera image than either DJI or GoPro.
I have an Action3 and it works flawlessly whether it’s UI or menu system or responsiveness from sleep to shoot or the non-overheating performance. I don’t believe the Action4 will be worse than the 3. If anything that may be not the best - Possibly it could be on technical parameters like downsampling full sensor 10-bit resolution or internal video processing before saving to sdcard - something not visible to most users except the nit-pickers and professional video industry folks. I certainly love the footage I obtain from it - no complaints…

Current hero 10 might get upgraded when the 13 hits Costco.

The thing always scaring me away from gopro is the problems with batteries i hear about and see people suffering from.

The thing always scaring me away from gopro is the problems with batteries i hear about and see people suffering from.
When i last looked, overheating was a major problem (software trying to squeeze too much out of the processor?)

I imagine they have addressed that by now but it's one of the main reasons i went with the Action 3.

When i last looked, overheating was a major problem (software trying to squeeze too much out of the processor?)

I imagine they have addressed that by now but it's one of the main reasons i went with the Action 3.

Every modern action camera overheats. Youtubers have done tests where they set all the current entrants with the same settings on a table and see how long they last. They all overheat within a few minutes of each other.

Example

GoPro is being honest about their thermal limits and publishing charts of their tested limits for no air flow situations.
https://youtu.be/gguQ8cFVKEo?si=Fvg86vkEoNitpLRu&t=757
GoPro Thermal Limits

I have an Action3 and it works flawlessly whether it’s UI or menu system or responsiveness from sleep to shoot or the non-overheating performance. I don’t believe the Action4 will be worse than the 3. If anything that may be not the best - Possibly it could be on technical parameters like downsampling full sensor 10-bit resolution or internal video processing before saving to sdcard - something not visible to most users except the nit-pickers and professional video industry folks. I certainly love the footage I obtain from it - no complaints…

What you spend your money on is your choice. DJI simply can be a better camera if DJI wanted to invest in it. And so can GoPro, now that GoPro is designing their own chips they can have the software edge over DJI and Insta360, they just have to invest in it.

And it sounds like GoPro might be, the main reason why the latest releases are underwhelming is that going back and recoding their entire firmware from stratch had to be time consuming, but when you are trying to push as much data as these action cameras are they need to be as effecient as possible.

I personally as an owner of the GP12, I doubt that I will be buying a GP13, there just doesn't seem to be much for me unless the HLG HDR blows me away once the sample videos come out. But I am looking forward to what they can do with the GP14.

I still use a 4.

Maybe I can get a good deal on a double digit used one soon....

I have a GP10 with five blue batteries and a NIB 32gb Sandisk card (came with either my GP11 or GP12) laying around. Make an offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom