GoPro HERO13 Black was announced few hours ago!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
HERO13 Black was announced recently (pre-orders now), anyone planning to buy one? There are new changeable lenses to go with it too. I am not sure that these new lenses will fit the UW housing (probably not).

Any thoughts from anyone with more knowledge?

Everything new is based for the traditional user

You think that the new lenses won't be usable for UW use?

Already have too much content and not enough editing capacity to do anything good with it.
As in not enough time or hardware to do the required editing?

I looked at their website and did not see a diving housing. No scuba shots in the video - just shallow snorkeling. Doesn't seem like they care about diving anymore?

I looked at their website and did not see a diving housing. No scuba shots in the video - just shallow snorkeling. Doesn't seem like they care about diving anymore?

It uses the same housing.

You think that the new lenses won't be usable for UW use?

It won't unless they decide to make a new housing that fits the lenses.

About the only new feature for existing GP12 users is the HLG HDR mode. Which may or may not have any output changes.

Right now they are outputting 10bit color but in a Rec 709 profile, so only 8 bit are displayed. You can switch to a rec 2020 HLG profile and get the expanded 10bit color range. Which is what I do for my videos.

But as far as I can tell the pseudo HDR mode on the GP12 only outputs in 8bit for the overall dynamic range. I didn't see any real differences when I changed the color profile.

There isn't a new sensor and the HDR mode is still limited to half the frame rate of non-HDR videos. So they are still likely using the pseudo HDR mode that the GP12 supported, but are they outputting an increased overall dynamic range from the GP12?

Personally I need to see side by side video, but I'm not sure there is anything new for people that were already changing their color space. They are just finally making it easier for everyone else to get access to the 10bit color.

That being said if you desire longer battery life and recording time before overheating the GP13 is supposed to be signifigantly better. Also the timecode syncing now a standard feature in Quik instead of a labs feature is nice. They also completely changed their code base for the 12 and claim that they've seen a signifigant reduction in support tickets for crashing (which older GoPros were notorious for). So for users of earlier cameras that is an imporvement.

So IMHO my early feelings that may change once side by side footage is released
GP11 or 12: Probably little reason to upgrade
GP10 or earlier: Pretty solid upgrade

Yes but cheaper and plenty good enough for my purposes (maybe better depending on your taste).

Chinese company undercutting American company on price, no that never happens.

My opinion is that the Action 4 has good hardware but the software side is unpolished. And that software is what makes the biggest difference, as there is a ton of work that happens between what the sensor records and what hits the memory card. It is part of the reason why Insta360's Ace Pro was able to make a big splash despite having a clearly inferior sensor and processor. Their algorithms allow it to put out a better straight from the camera image than either DJI or GoPro.

Dont think I will upgrade my 12.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom