GoPro Hero 8 Black — Red Filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as an FYI, I emailed Backscatter a week ago and immediately got this reply from Russ (product manager) about availability of the Flip 8:

"we hope to start shipping the Flip 8 in the next 4-6 weeks."

For anyone else interested.

The Flip8 is now available from Backscatter. Still trying to figure out if I need or want it.

Already got mine. Looks like I can transfer my +15 macromate mini lens and extra filters from my Hero5 over to this one and save some money! The wife will be using the Hero5 on occasion and really only needs the one filter (she doesn't use the camera much at all!).

Colour correcting is the way to go if you want to get the best possible result. I use Davinci Resolve and the basic version is free which does like 90% of the studio version. I do prefer to have a red filter if there is enough light but it's not essential. Here is a video from a few months back. Most of the footage was taken between 18-30m depth, red filter, no lights, colour corrected and graded, 40-50m vis, bright sunny day:

Colour correcting is the way to go if you want to get the best possible result. I use Davinci Resolve and the basic version is free which does like 90% of the studio version. I do prefer to have a red filter if there is enough light but it's not essential. Here is a video from a few months back. Most of the footage was taken between 18-30m depth, red filter, no lights, colour corrected and graded, 40-50m vis, bright sunny day:

That video looks perfect! Very Professional!
I used a red filter on my previous 2 dives and noticed that I lost something, maybe it was the amount of light, so I'm looking into installing Davinci Resolve and eliminating the red filter. I dive around Cape Cod Massachusetts and 20 ft vis is a very good day so there is not a lot of light making it down. But using artificial lights does not look good for video, too much distracting movement(unless the light is fixed)I think I need to get the gopro settings optimized to get the max natural light and use Davinci, does the free Davinci flash ads at you or send a lot of junk email? Without a filter my raw video looks extreme green, can I do enough color correction in Davinci Resolve to handle that?

That video looks perfect! Very Professional!
I used a red filter on my previous 2 dives and noticed that I lost something, maybe it was the amount of light, so I'm looking into installing Davinci Resolve and eliminating the red filter. I dive around Cape Cod Massachusetts and 20 ft vis is a very good day so there is not a lot of light making it down. But using artificial lights does not look good for video, too much distracting movement(unless the light is fixed)I think I need to get the gopro settings optimized to get the max natural light and use Davinci, does the free Davinci flash ads at you or send a lot of junk email? Without a filter my raw video looks extreme green, can I do enough color correction in Davinci Resolve to handle that?
Free version of Davinci Resolve is without ads and there is no junk mail, at least I didn't see any.
If the vis is that bad I would suggest to not use the filter at all and try Gopro Colour, White Balance Native or Auto.
Whenever it is too dark or bad vis I take the filter of and still manage to bring a lot of the colour back with Davinci.
I don't like the way the footage looks with dive lights too.

Back
Top Bottom