GoPro Hero 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For video, I would look at Davinci Resolve (Free version is fine) and Final Cut Pro iMac only). Davinci resolve is very powerful and I can't believe the capabilities in the free version.

I currently have a TG-5 without a housing or any accessories needed for underwater photo/video.
Seeing this new Hero7 black with hyper stabilisation is making me think if I want to sell my TG5 and pick up a hero7.
To buy all the accessories for the gopro is so much cheaper as I would just get the normal gopro diving housing for now and a tray and light. Compared to the $350 housing and whatever else for the TG-5.

My primary focus is video rather than pictures and if I film at 1080@240 or 4k@60 I could always pull stills out of that I figure.
I think the new Hero 7 is definitely better than the paralenz because of the new hyperstabilisation.

An issue I found above water with my TG-5 was it would briefly lose focus when panning the camera quite ofen while walking around and was quite shaky (obviously a tray underwater would help a lot with the shakiness).

I have some questions for Hero 6 or 7 owners as I used to own a Hero3black but flooded it a couple years back in Belize (oops).
  • How easy is it to edit the colours in post processing? I would rather not shoot with a filter at all and do colour corrections after
  • Do you always record in the maximum FPS for the resolution you are filming in? Why/why not?
  • How is the white balance these days? Can manual white be easily done these days?
  • Can you change between photo/video very easily with the normal dive housing?
  • Are the photos any good these days underwater?
  • Any issues with overheating/fogging when filming at the highest rates possible
  • is it hard to change the recording angle ° underwater if I want it to not be such a wide angle shot.

I remember one issue with my gopro is it always looked like I was so far away because of the wide angle shot but if I could change that easily underwater between videos it would be great.

My experience with the gopro hero 5.

How easy is it to edit the colours in post processing? I would rather not shoot with a filter at all and do colour corrections after
Well long story short. If the (red) color isn't in the shot, no amount of color correction will get it back.
Only way to go is a red filter or lights. (i prefer lights)
Shooting footage in procam raw with a flat color profile will make your life easier in post without a red filter.
With a red filter I find it difficult to get a good result with procam raw. (almost always too much red)
But that could also be accredited to my inaptitude.

Do you always record in the maximum FPS for the resolution you are filming in? Why/why not?
Higher framerates results in higher shutter speeds. High shutter speeds result in lower exposure.
So if you're in low light conditions, lower framerate's (and shutter speeds) are better.
So in short, shoot in the highest framerate the lighting condition allows.

How is the white balance these days? Can manual white be easily done these days?
The following settings are available on the gopro hero 7 black: (the hero 5 has fewer options)
Auto, 2300K, 2800K, 3200K, 4000K, 4500K, 5500K, 6000K, 6500K and Native
It's best to shoot in native when post-processing.
Every other setting is the gopro software doing the same kind of manipulation you do in the editing software.

Can you change between photo/video very easily with the normal dive housing?
Yes. The on/off button on the side switches between mode's when pressed shortly.

Are the photos any good these days underwater?
Sorry I couldn't tell you, I have never ever taken a photo with the gopro.

Any issues with overheating/fogging when filming at the highest rates possible
Never had any issues, I've been in 2°C water as well as 30°C no fogging.
note: I do use the anti-fog strips.

is it hard to change the recording angle ° underwater if I want it to not be such a wide angle shot.
Menu navigation with only buttons underwater is somewhat cumbersome.
But that is merely my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom