GoPro Hero 3 with Close Up Lens +10 Stacked with 5 DIY lens out of Magnifying Glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lyndon C

Registered
Reaction score
Surigao - Surfing Capital of the Philippines
# of dives
here's my test video of the GoPro Hero 3 with SRP SO Naked 55 mm Adaptor with the Marumi +10 close Up Lens stacked with my DIY 5 magnifying Glass Lens.

With just the marumi CL, the nearest i can go with the subject is around 8 inches while with the stacked 5 Magnifying Lens i can go as near as 4 and 3/4 inches

[video=youtube_share;Cxqy5BvfaGg]http://youtu.be/Cxqy5BvfaGg[/video]

Beautiful video, would you share your settings, filter, lights, post processing? I just got Hero 3 black, going to Grand Cayman in couple weeks and trying to crash course my learning before I go. Many Thanks!

WOW! Nicely done!

i'm now using an improved version of my DIY Macro lens - 8 Magnifying Lens Stacked. Here's a sample video
of one of the smallest verterbrae - Pygmy Seahorse

1080p 60fps AWB Narrow Mode
Sea Life Video Light
GoPro Hero 3 BE
Blurfix Naked 55 mm Adaptor with +10 marumi CL
DIY Macro Lens

[video=youtube;Y6o6DpvVV0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6o6DpvVV0w[/video]

Why would adding the lenses let you go closer? I would think adding the mag lenses would give you more zoom, but not change the min focal length of the GP itself.

How did you DIY the mag lenses?

How did you keep the camera still?

i'm now using an improved version of my DIY Macro lens - 8 Magnifying Lens Stacked. Here's a sample video
of one of the smallest verterbrae - Pygmy Seahorse

1080p 60fps AWB Narrow Mode
Sea Life Video Light
GoPro Hero 3 BE
Blurfix Naked 55 mm Adaptor with +10 marumi CL
DIY Macro Lens

[video=youtube;Y6o6DpvVV0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6o6DpvVV0w[/video]

Very nice. How the heck do you keep the shots so well framed? You also have some pretty good stability.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 05:03 AM ----------

Why would adding the lenses let you go closer? I would think adding the mag lenses would give you more zoom, but not change the min focal length of the GP itself.

How did you DIY the mag lenses?

How did you keep the camera still?

From what I've gathered after lots of testing macro lenses in my pool today, the GoPro works a bit differently in this case. With the additional lenses you don't seem to really get much of a magnification effect, what you get is the ability to get closer to the subject while keeping a clear focus. With a +10 you can get to about 7"-8" from the subject, two +10's about 5" or so. Without the macro lenses, 12" away from subject is about as close as you can get before losing detail (clarity) from focus loss. Switching the camera to narrow FOV gives the subject the appearance of being closer (no wide angle usage of the sensor) by filling the frame.

Keeping the camera still is tricky. You can either lay it down against something or be very, very still. Keeping the subject in frame while in narrow FOV without a viewfinder probably even more difficult .

Last edited:
From what I've gathered after lots of testing macro lenses in my pool today, the GoPro works a bit differently in this case. With the additional lenses you don't seem to really get much of a magnification effect, what you get is the ability to get closer to the subject while keeping a clear focus....

This is not unique to the GoPro. These lenses are also called "closeup filters", which better describes what they do. They work this way with all cameras.

For macro video with magnification, you need a zoom lens. A zoom lens also gives you some flexibility with your distance to the subject. In addition with the difficulties of staying still, most marine life will swim away before letting you put a lens at 4 inches.

GoPro is a fantastic camera and with these closeup filters you can get good macro video if you have a cooperative subject. A camera with a zoom lens would be the next step when you are ready to upgrade.

Last edited:
This is not unique to the GoPro. These lenses are also called "closeup filters", which better describes what they do. They work this way will all cameras.

For macro video with magnification, you need a zoom lens. A zoom lens also gives you some flexibility with your distance to the subject. In addition with the difficulties of staying still, most marine life will swim away before letting you put a lens at 4 inches.

GoPro is a fantastic camera and with these closeup filters you can get good macro video if you have a cooperative subject. A camera with a zoom lens would be the next step when you are ready to upgrade.

I've been thinking a little bit of what would be the next step up without breaking the bank.

I've been thinking a little bit of what would be the next step up without breaking the bank.

I'm using the Panasonic LX7 with a Nauticam housing. You could go with an Ikelite housing if $$ is an issue. Take a look at the various posts about the LX7.

I posted a short clip from my goliath grouper dive in Florida. Deep dark dive 85-100 foot depths. Much better at low light than the GoPro, a base lens field of view that is better suited to typical UW video shooting and it has good macro capability with it's zoom lens and ability to focus up close.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom