GoPro Hero 3 Black and Pro-Tune

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I am diving a Hero 3, and I don't have a red filter, what video settings should I use so I can best correct color in post processing? Is simply turning on Pro Tune enough?

I have Cineform and have used it for some very simple edits in the past, never messed with the color settings. (I also have Sony Vegas, if that helps.)

i shoot 2,7k protune camraw with the blurfix red filter
set it and forget it, dont normally dive deeper than 90 feet so no light, and i just leave the filter on shallow and correct
Works great

Why is the rum always gone

AdventurePlus;

If you want to "re-frame" why not shoot at 2.7K That would give you much more ability to crop down to 1080p. You could even use ProTune to supposedly get higher quality (due to higher bit rate) and still shoot with auto WB.

A couple reasons
1) Hard drive space
2) My computer has a hard time rendering the 1440p for playback while editing, going higher would be even harder to work with.

I talked to a couple guys from GoPro and they advised against protune for amateur projects, protune was designed more for matching color profiles when shooting with various cameras for a single combined video project. It sounded like manually adding the color back in was far more time intensive than I cared to mess with.

---------- Post added July 9th, 2013 at 08:09 PM ----------

BTW AdventurePlus;

A bit off topic, but how do you find the "fogging" problem? I bought a bunch of those moisture absorbers as I didn't want to be stuck in the Jungle with foggy videos, but I wonder how much of an issue it really is?

I usually use the moisture absorbers and have had very little fogging. Once underwater, and once on land, both at the tail end of a week long caribbean trip. I was using the same set the entire trip and by the end of a week the humid air won. Take an extra set and keep them sealed to switch out mid trip and you should be fine.

I personally have owned Go Pro cameras since 2008 and have not had a fogging issue underwater, nor do I just the moisture strips.

The Go Pro 3 that I use I filmed at 1080p 60 fps with the polar pro red filter up to depths of 110 ft with Pro Tunes on. Overall the quality was really great. I edit in FCPX which was extremely easy. I demonstrated in one of my videos of how the "raw" for looks and then the edited comparison. Check it out. Happy to answer any questions.

Polar Pro Snap on Red Filter for Go Pro Hero 3 - Black Edition & ProTunes On - YouTube

Also have Go Pro 2 footage with Oculus red filter filmed with Pro Tunes on and edited in FCPX. Not much needed to be done for color correction.

Diving Dirty Rock off Cocos Island Using Go Pro Hero 2 Camera with Oculus Red Filter - YouTube

Diving with Hammerhead Sharks off Cocos Island Using Go Pro Hero Camera - YouTube

Underwater Huntress
www.UnderwaterHuntress.com

@UnderwaterHuntress

You mention in your Youtube video description that you attach a lanyard to your GoPro housing. How so? I've been brainstorming that for days and don't really see a good point to attach except through the accessory mounting holes of the housing itself.

I talked to a couple guys from GoPro and they advised against protune for amateur projects, protune was designed more for matching color profiles when shooting with various cameras for a single combined video project. It sounded like manually adding the color back in was far more time intensive than I cared to mess with.

i wish i knew this before my hawaii trip back in april! i filmed almost every dive in 1080p 60fps with protune. i've been too busy (or lazy) to edit all the video clips from my trip. next time i'll just leave protune off.

Back
Top Bottom