GoPro Hero 3+ BE using Protune

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hebrewhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I just switched to a 3+ Black and am excited to get in the water and filming. I plan to do post production color correction and use protune, but I have not been able to find an answer to this question. Should I use a red filter with protune?? Typically I would in order to help color correct the WB, but with protune I should have more flexibility to adjust later. Also, I have read that some people consider them to steal too much light. I also plan on using a POV light (400 lumen), but only for macro. I don't think this would be anywhere near bright enough to correct the blue at any depth.

My experience.... In Bonaire last summer, I broke my red filter exiting on my first dive. I continued diving the rest of the week without a filter (and without a light) using Protune. I was able to bring back quite a bit of color. I was able to bring back the color using either Photoshop, iMovie or (as I tried later on) GoPro studio. It wasn't perfect, but to my untrained eye, it looked good. With a light you shouldn't need a filter anyway.

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but that was my experience.

Jim

I just switched to a 3+ Black and am excited to get in the water and filming. I plan to do post production color correction and use protune, but I have not been able to find an answer to this question. Should I use a red filter with protune?? Typically I would in order to help color correct the WB, but with protune I should have more flexibility to adjust later. Also, I have read that some people consider them to steal too much light. I also plan on using a POV light (400 lumen), but only for macro. I don't think this would be anywhere near bright enough to correct the blue at any depth.

A 400 lm light is not very bright. Is it a wide angle light? If not (as I suspect) then it is probably a typical dive light which throws out a concentrated and focused beam. This type of light will probably cause more trouble than it is worth, because it will only illuminate a portion of the field of view and make it washed out in the light and too dark elsewhere.

I always use auto white balance with a filter. Never had to do any post-processing other than stitching the clips together (and maybe a 10% contrast bump due to low vis).

I also plan on using a POV light (400 lumen), but only for macro. I don't think this would be anywhere near bright enough to correct the blue at any depth.

There may be a misconception here. The color is not blue because of the depth; it is blue because the sunlight has had to go through all that water, thus removing the red part of the white light from the sun. By providing your own light at depth -- instead of using the sun -- your light is only going through a very small amount of water, especially if doing macro. You should need no color correction if using your own light, for most modern (LED) lights. If your light is not powerful enough to overwhelm the small amount to (blue) sunlight at depth, then your light is not powerful enough to even bother using. A 400 lumen light, especially if it is a flood that covers the field of view of a GoPro, is not very bright.

It is a flood, as I mentioned I never expected to use it for a lot of illumination. My intention was to use it on macro shots exclusively 6-24". I understand the distance of light traveling through blue water removing the red. My question really is, is it better to use the filter and lower the overall amount of light reaching the sensor, or is it better to go without at hope that protune raw gathers enough data to correct the color later. The majority of my shooting will be above 60ft and hopefully a sunny day.

Yes, use a red filter. It makes color correcting a lot easier with better results. Of course red filter unnecessary when the subject is illuminated with lights. I also used Protune and Camera RAW WB with my Hero 3 BE. It gives you the most flexibility in post.

I agree: Filter+Protune. By the way, a couple months ago I asked @David_Newman of GoPro for advice on all the settings:

Set Protune, Color=Flat, Sharpness=Low, EV Comp=0 Set Resolution to 2.7K
Set Frames Per Second (fps) to 30 or 24
About Frames Per Second (fps): Choosing 24 fps instead of 30 fps will capture 20% more light, but at the cost of having to hold the camera steadier (because the shutter will be 20% longer). You might also choose 4K resolution and 15 fps. You'll capture twice as much light, but the shutter will open twice as long.
About resolution: Choose the biggest resolution that provides the fps that you want. (So, on the Hero4 Black edition, always use 4K)

(All this is written up with details of how do the color correction at:
Easy One-Button Scuba Photos with GoPro Hero4)

- Carl

Filter+Protune? I keep protune off and have no post processing at all to fix colors, they come out just right.

I'm editing a new video tomorrow, but here is an old one. Again, protune off (used camera's auto white balance) and only a slight bump in contrast to improve visibility.

I find the colors pretty spot on and wouldn't change them (or have the work to reach the same result on post after using the Protune mode).

Great advice so far, @toozler that video came out looking great. I'll probably still go protune as insurance over the auto white balance. I'm sure it works well under some conditions with a red filter, but perhaps not all. Now I am confused about 1080 60/30 vs 2.7k 24/30. With 2.7k I will have more area for stabilizing post, with 1080 60 I can slow down the action in spots, but now I'm worried that it may get grainy if there isn't enough light. It's tough only being able to travel so often, I hate the idea of taking my vacation then coming back and not being happy with the footage. But perhaps some trial and error is what it will take. I was even considering a pink or orange filter as a happy medium. I can't wait to get in the water and shoot some footage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom