GoPro Hero 2 - very blurry underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are new divers and wanted a good point & click camera underwater. I bought a SeaLife ReefMaster to use on our diving trip this past spring and I loved it, we got some fun photos underwater - and even one or two great ones! Through a local dive group, we won a GoPro Hero2 and we were so excited! I bought a LCD bacpac for it so we could see what we were taking photos of, and last weekend, we went to our dive shop's pool to practice our skills and to play with the camera.

We are using the GoPro underwater case, a class 10 sd card and had full battery life. We were just pointing and clicking, nothing fancy, but every single photo we took was blurry. I did some searching online and read that there was an issue with the underwater casing causing this issue, but I also read that was specifically for video. I also read about a firmware update, but I didn't see anyone state that it actually helped with the blurriness. Given that we were in a pool and the photos came out so awful, I can't imagine what it would look like in the ocean. We are taking a trip this New Years to Bonaire, and we were excited about having 2 cameras, but I don't even want to take the GoPro given the terrible photos.

I also do not want to invest more money (given that it was a free prize!) if we aren't sure it's going to really work, since we've already spent $80 on the Bacpac.

Can anyone offer any advice? Examples below:

019b_zpsaca0bde7.jpg 021b_zps8bf40f6a.jpg

Shouldn't the Hero 2 have the flat lens for using it underwater? I think that's your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

try video, hold the camera still.. it will be much better if you have the underwater (flat) lens on the housing..

if you've ever opened your eyes underwater in the ocean or the pool and seen how blurry it is, well your gopro 2 is having the same problem... you fix the problem with the flat surface of a dive mask... the gopro needs the flat lens...

Is this true for gopro hero3+ black? Cause I think the housing is flat..... bought one and taking it to the pool tomorrow and the quarry Sunday. I hope it doesnt have this problem....

For the Hero 3 it is not necessary to buy an extra underwater housing or lens. I would think the best buy would be the Black for underwater use because of its cmos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks, all! Does anyone know, by chance, if the dive housing unit linked above works with the LCD Bacpac? I do not see it directly addressed on the website...

Your LCD bacpac came with a new backdoor, correct?

Install that backdoor on the 'dive housing'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom