GoPro Hero 10 overheating issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main upside is it doesn't require corrective filters, it changes its white balance based on measured depth
Going by user testimonies, this doesn't really work. There is a lot more to color balancing video than just depth. Water clarity, water color, time of day, season, cloud cover, surface wave conditions, shooting angle - everything has an effect.

Paralenz is great if you need to document stuff at depth, such as mapping or surveying as using it hands free is super easy and not invasive, it's terrible for hobby users.
I have yet to find anything that's even close to gopro in terms of image quality and ease of use underwater, when it works. The 9 is a bit better with overheating, only happened to me in the middle of the summer on the boat, but it's still buggy and has a lot of sd card errors.

The Hero 9 may be *better* than a Hero 10 when it comes to overheating but based on what I've been researching I'm starting to get the feeling a 9 still won't be able to do a 45 minute non-stop recording when in a housing. This video shows the Hero 9 may be only marginally better:
So I'm starting to think I will be forced to start/stop a GoPro multiple times to prevent overheating during a dive anyway, regardless of version. In which case, I might as well keep the Hero 10 for its more advanced specs...

Personally I don’t see the point of recording non-stop videos on dives UW. I’m like paparazzi chasing the star (fish and sea life) ... as soon as I see something good I hit the record button and let it roll for a minute or two then I stop. Saves memory card space and editing time later as lesser footage to review and debate whether to keep it or not…

Yes, not a huge inconvenience to start/stop. Was just hoping to not have two shutter buttons to worry about on a dive, and potentially miss one or the other shot.

Paralenz…

Have one of them and can confirm it will run for hours recording non stop.

However…
  • there’s no screen so framing the shot is a PITA
  • the controls need light to see the ring position
  • Have had struggles with the controls as there’s 'hidden' features like turning on the damn DCC (depth colour correction)
  • the screen is hard to read with v.small writing

Seems the GoPro is all talk and no trousers with a short battery life and short filming durations.

Wondering if there’s serious alternatives— even using an iPhone housing?

Paralenz…

Have one of them and can confirm it will run for hours recording non stop.

However…
  • there’s no screen so framing the shot is a PITA
  • the controls need light to see the ring position
  • Have had struggles with the controls as there’s 'hidden' features like turning on the damn DCC (depth colour correction)
  • the screen is hard to read with v.small writing

Seems the GoPro is all talk and no trousers with a short battery life and short filming durations.

Wondering if there’s serious alternatives— even using an iPhone housing?
I have a SeaLife Sport diver with a 11max pro that I love using. I don't do much video with it but I love it for stills....It works fine in video except zooming...it jumps to the next zoom level instead of smooth transition

Yes, not a huge inconvenience to start/stop. Was just hoping to not have two shutter buttons to worry about on a dive, and potentially miss one or the other shot.
What two shutter buttons are you talking about? There is only one at the top.

What two shutter buttons are you talking about? There is only one at the top.
Like I originally mentioned, I just wanted the GoPro to continually run atop my stills rig so I could concentrate on taking photos (perhaps capturing some usable video while I did), and if something really video-worthy went in front of me all I would need to do is point the rig at whatever it is without having to remember to reach up and start the GoPro and change my grip in the process.

Back
Top Bottom