GoPro Hero 10 overheating issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I originally mentioned, I just wanted the GoPro to continually run atop my stills rig so I could concentrate on taking photos (perhaps capturing some usable video while I did), and if something really video-worthy went in front of me all I would need to do is point the rig at whatever it is without having to remember to reach up and start the GoPro and change my grip in the process.
A Paralenz would work well for this use case.

Have asked in another thread about the EasyDive Leo3 Smartphone housing. Hoping that might work with an iPhone

Have asked in another thread about the EasyDive Leo3 Smartphone housing. Hoping that might work with an iPhone
If you have access to physical stores that sell GoPros where you can test on the spot if the unit records for 15mins without overheating I would recommend that over using your phone any day. Despite all the negatives mentioned in this thread the GoPro works fantastic once you get a problem-free unit. Maybe it’s a higher percent of units manufactured that have overheating issues (partly owed to the design challenge of small body with intensive processing on its chips) but I am sure there are those 80% units that are relatively trouble free and a delight for its owners.

For me my access to my flight and hotel bookings, bank accounts, personal contacts for emergency situations, digital records and backup copies of critical documents etc all reside on the phone and I would be wary of carrying it in high risk environments and situations like diving. A silly thing like a strand of hair on an o-ring or seal flooding your phone on a dive would be inordinately inconvenient.

Unless you have a dual/twin set of iPhones that are a Mirror image of each other…like your set of doubles regs. I prefer single purpose gear for high risk activities for this reason.

Was thinking that the later iPhone cameras are pretty good devices and probably better than a GoPro.

But, there's a massive risk in loosing it in a flood! Wonder if AppleCare+ would notice?

I would only use a smartphone housing with an older iPhone. There is no way I’d use my current phone for uw photography.

Hello,

I purchased a Hero 10 and a GoPro U/W housing from Backscatter to mount on the top of my still camera housing, with the idea that I would simply start recording at the beginning of a dive and stop it at the end. (This would save me the trouble of having to start/stop recording, and potentially miss footage, at the tradeoff of storage space.)

Problem is, the unit ended up being unable to do a continuous recording without overheating. Even at more modest settings (4K/30, normal bitrate) it would stop each recording at around 5 minutes, and I would have to re-start it. Backscatter is exchanging the unit on the assumption that I got a lemon, but in the meanwhile I did some research and found that the Hero 10 overheating issue is fairly common for long videos, especially at more aggressive settings. Presumably this is made worse by being closed up in a housing.

Is anyone else having this problem? The higher resolutions of the Hero 10 is not a priority for me, so would a Hero 9 be a more stable option for longer videos? Anyone able to do a 45 minute recording with a Hero 9 in a housing at 4K or 2.7K, 60 fps or even 30 fps?

Thanks
Mike
I had the same problem with my GoPro6. What solved it was the Subal housing, made from aluminum. The heat conduction was so much better. As far as I know they don't make a housing for the 10 yet.

Back
Top Bottom