GoPro HD2 3D night dive at Portsea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here is a recent night dive I filmed with my EOM 3D housing on the SRP tray with 2x Sola 500 lights.

HD2 Gopro 3D night dive at Portsea pier - YouTube

Needs to be viewed at YouTube for 3D viewing options.

Currents were pretty strong so a little shaky at times, but I think the 3D effect does work pretty well with the GoPro underwater. No LCD screen makes it much harder to use the lights as you cant tell if your lighting the frame properly and if the lights are too bright at times and power needs to be reduced.

i just watch the video with Nvidia 3d Glasses...

damm it actually works pretty good thanks for sharing....

Thanks, watching in proper 3D is the best method giving full colour and 3D effect and I think the GoPro 3D setup can get some pretty cool 3D video underwater. It takes a bit more editing but the end result I think adds quite a bit to the viewing experiance in 3D.

Here is just the cuttlefish in red/cyan 3d on vimeo so needs red blue 3D glasses to view it.
[video=vimeo;40432459]https://vimeo.com/40432459[/video]

Here is the same video's link for youtube with more 3D viewing options.
3D Cuttlefish Gopro HD2 - YouTube

Very nice. I'd like to know more about your setup.

I saw a picture of your side-by-side arrangement in another thread---I assume that's what you're using for 3D?
What is your lense to lense spacing?
Are you using red/blue filters on the cameras or creating the anaglyph in edit?
Are you doing anything in edit to control the 3D window?
Any issues with synchronising the two video feeds?

I used to shoot 3D with Nikonos V's & am thinking about how to get back into it:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...-underwater-3d-photographers-please-step.html

For 3d I use the eyofmine 3d flat lens housing, this has no filters and the videos in this thread are all at night with my sola 500 lights mounted on the SRP tray.

This uses the gopro 3d sync cable to sync the recording and then 3d convergance is adjusted using the free gopro cineform software.

I dont have any filters with this housing which is why I dont use it as much as id like to, its possible to use some gel sheets for filters with this housing but i never got around to doing that.

Since using the blurfix and urpro filters in my single housings I dont like to shoot daytime stuff with a clear lens anymore. There are some other daytime 3d dives i have filmed and all colour in those is software correction, I also dont have anything very deep shot with these as even at 5m without a filter theres not much that can be done in software to correct the colour.

I do like the 3d effect that the gopro setup gives underwater, I would just prefer a housing with a glass lens that can take filters easily, over the plastic eom that I use atm which is the only option to use for wide modes vignette free underwater.

This uses the gopro 3d sync cable to sync the recording and then 3d convergance is adjusted using the free gopro cineform software.

Thanks.

So the 3d sync cable works housing-to-housing? I assumed it could only be used inside their 3d housing.

To clarify, are you generating the anaglyphs with the gopro cineform software? Do you know of any other software tools to do this? (I haven't looked into this at all, yet).

The water's a lot darker & greener here (Monterey CA) so, for still photograpy, I rely on the strobes to fill out the color. I suppose I'll have to get some hefty video lights if/when I go down that path.

The EOM 3d housing is just a modified GoPro 3D housing with a glued on plastic flat port as a focus fix, not pretty but does the job lol. This is still the only the GoPro 3d flat port housing that gives wide angle 16:9 video modes vignette free.

It has the negatives of plastic which does degrade over time and can scratch up fairly easily. Its also a pain to try and clean the inside of the lens through the 2 tiny lens holes inside the housing. The sync cable just attaches to the 2 GoPro's via the expansion port .

Here is a pic of the setup I used for this video. EOM 3d housing, SRP tray and 2x Sola 500 lights with locline arms.

The free GoPro cineform software is very good and I don't think there is anything else around that can work so well with 3D files.

In this you create the 3D file from the 2 separate video files recorded by each camera, do all the stereoscopic convergence settings and then you can export out in any possible 3D viewing format. Its a great bit of software and if this wasn't provided for free by GoPro the setup would be pretty much useless. This is one of the main reasons they would have purchased cineform as they were the leaders in 3D video editing software.

This takes more work then editing a 2d video with a bit of a steep learning curve but once you've done it a couple of times its pretty easy. After doing the 3D settings in cineform I then import the 3D AVI file into adobe premier and finish the edit there. Exporting the 3d video is the same as any other 2d video through premiere, all you need to do is set the cineform 3d display type to the format you want your final file in and its done.

The thing with lights underwater is that even the most expensive setup will only give you improved colour to about 1.5m from the light source. A good filter can give more colour to everything but this does get effected by depth unlike lights which do the same at any depth. Both methods can do a pretty good job in some conditions but they both have their limitations, filters are much cheaper and easier to use then video lights.

With the 3D setup you don't have an lcd screen on the GoPro so this also makes it much harder to aim your lights for best fill, I found using an lcd and lights is much easier. As the cameras in the GoPro 3d setup are pretty close together this makes them work best with nearer objects, this is great for underwater as you rarely see anything further then 15-20m from the camera anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom