GoPro Basics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4dawgma

Contributor
Reaction score
First, let me preface buy saying I'm no professional but looking for something to make videos on land and underwater. I keep hearing about these cameras but dont know anyone that has one and can't seem to tell exactly whats going on from the website. These are probably stupid questions but please help. I'd like to get everything at once instead of getting the camera and then figuring out I need another thing.

1) Judging by the pics there isn't a screen so you can see what your filming? If not, for an additional $80 you can purchase something that looks like a screen and I'm guessing, a larger housing to accommodate this? I think I would prefer this option, what do y'all think?

2) I didn't see any red lens on the website. Where do I find those? Also interested in a fisheye lens if available.

3) Seeing the threads here, y'all prefer the "black" model. Is it that much better than the others?

4) Does in come with a card? If not I'm guessing you would all recommend the 64g card? Go big or go home, right?

5) Anything not come with it that I will need or want? (cords etc)

6) I would also like to be able to take some pics from time to time. There seems to be some grumbling about that from what I've read. How hard is it change modes and is pic quality any good?

Thanks for any opinions and help.

1) Exactly. Buying one is a good option to help you frame your shots, but not mandatory. The GoPro has a 170deg field of view, so it captures pretty much everything on the general direction you're pointing it at.

2) There are several red filter options (i.e. internal: EelVision | GoPro Accessories / external: www. snakeriverprototyping.com). The stock lens is already fish-eye.

3) The Silver model is just as good for the average-advanced user.

4) No card included. I personally prefer 2 32gb, or 4 16gb cards instead of one 64gb. One 16gb card easily holds 2 dives worth of footage. Get it class 10 and cross your fingers, a lot of cards won't work with the HERO3, it's just a gamble.

5) Get anti-fog inserts (see first link above), a tray or pole (see second link above) and a lanyard to attach to your BCD.

6) Pic is average, there is no flash so hold it steady otherwise it will come out blurry. It takes more than one push of a button to switch to picture mode, it's annoying but not impossible.

Sorry reposted.

64GB cards have issues with some computers. 32GB is a much safer bet.

Black has a little better low light performance but Silver has considerably better battery life. Check the features and the specs between the versions on the GoPro website. If you don't think you'll use the higher end features of the Black edition, go with the Silver. The higher end video that the Black records will also seriously tax a computer trying to play and post-process so you may need to upgrade your computer to take full advantage of it.

Yes and no for different interpretations of "can you":

No: the wide angle lens is fixed on the camera itself, it is not removable.
Yes: you can take your camera apart, remove the stock lens and install a 8mm lens from Ragecams (approximately 55mm equivalent).

The housing does not affect the fish-eye effect.

can you switch between fisheye and regular??

With the Hero2 and I assume the 3, you can change the field of view in the menu settings (FOV). The default is wide but it can be set to medium and narrow which give less of a fisheye effect.

How does it do for macro?

It doesn't. Requires the lens mod as mentioned above. Diopters mounted in front of the lens will allow focusing closer to the camera. There is a long discussion on this topic for more details.

1) Judging by the pics there isn't a screen so you can see what your filming? If not, for an additional $80 you can purchase something that looks like a screen and I'm guessing, a larger housing to accommodate this? I think I would prefer this option, what do y'all think?

I've found that the field-of-view is sufficiently wide to capture what you want easily enough. That said, when using video lights, I've occasionally wished to have the screen to get aim-points etc sorted out.

2) I didn't see any red lens on the website. Where do I find those? Also interested in a fisheye lens if available.

Red lenses are available. Not sure about fish eye - the FOV is already pretty large.

I didn't bother with a red lens. Much of my filming is deep, where a red lens achieves little more than darkening the light captured. I can sort out color cast in post-editing. I used Sony Vegas for that.

3) Seeing the threads here, y'all prefer the "black" model. Is it that much better than the others?

HD Hero3 Black is the newest, most powerful model. In addition to being smaller/lighter, it is supposed to have better light sensitivity. The HD3 Silver is the basic model. It's not much better than the Hero2. I use a Hero2 and it produces good results. Now that the '3' is out, the '2' should be cheaper.

4) Does in come with a card? If not I'm guessing you would all recommend the 64g card? Go big or go home, right?

I use a 32gb, which is more than sufficient for a day's diving. Make sure it's a class 10 for improved write speed.

5) Anything not come with it that I will need or want? (cords etc).

You'll need to think about stowage/mounting options. I've used a pole, which is very handy. For wreck penetrations, I use a homemade Goodman mount with two arms to attach video lights (wide-angle intovas). I also mount it on my helmet (below) - but whilst "hands free" the results are inevitably jerky as I move my head around.

2013-02-12 16.04.57 [640x480].jpg2013-02-12 16.05.15 [640x480].jpg2013-02-12 16.05.36 [640x480].jpg

This link shows how to build a basic GoPro rig for diving: 10 Minute DIY PVC GoPro Dive Video Rig

6) I would also like to be able to take some pics from time to time. There seems to be some grumbling about that from what I've read. How hard is it change modes and is pic quality any good?

I've never tried to use the GoPro in stills mode. I have taken stills from the video footage though - it's okay for web resolution stuff. Again, that's a feature on Sony Vegas.

Some sample stills taken from my GoPro video (size reduced/saved for web):

Marcus-Tec-Sidemount.jpgtec-sidemount-subic.jpgtec-sidemount-subic-2.jpgTec-Sidemount-Subic-4.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom