Gopro as a dive site scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.

I have been watching some videos of "gopro underwatet fishing" and thought that this might be a very good idea to combine a gopro camera a eye-fi wifi card and my ipad to first lower the camera down to scout the area and then pull it up look at the wideo withoug opening the case to see my ancher or the divesite before a actual dive.

Has anyone done this alwready so. And have any feedback.

From
Mike in Finland

I haven't done this but have seen a few videos of people doing similar stuff. Make sure you secure the latch if planning this so it can unlatch if it gets caught on something and you may need to find some way of keeping the camera from spinning around in circles.

The LCD backpack would also work well for what your planning as you can playback your footage on the camera with it, but the eyefi card and mobile phone or tablet will work too and leave you some more battery for when you jump in for the dive.

Here is an example I found searching for "gorpro on fishing line" in youtube thers plenty more results.
[video=youtube;kAbEzakam3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAbEzakam3Y&feature=related[/video]

Thanks for the advice. This video is the one that got me started as the fisherman attached the gopro to a Jig and took it into a wreck.

I thought that this could be nice to confirm conditions for the dive and also possible search or damage inspections where you would not have to open the gopro and possibly flood or damage the camera on board.

[video=youtube;oM_-2sdHRmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_-2sdHRmM[/video]

Back
Top Bottom