GoPro and Diving: how do you hold your GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lros79

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So Im brand new to diving. Haven't been in "real" open water yet, just a small lake for my open water course.
We're going to Bonaire in a couple weeks and everything I've looks at for my GoPro doesn't seem... well, there doesn't seem to actually be anything made for diving order than to awkwardly hold it.

I made this below. I took it in for a splash and it worked amazingly well. Very comfortable to hold. Integrates both the camera and the flashlight into one unit to grab onto (when I go diving the flashlight will be hand held and a 300mw diving laser will be there instead).

So a couple questions for a couple of the seasoned divers that use GoPro.

1) How do you dive with your GoPro?
2) Do you see anything wrong with this setup?
3) Can you suggest anything I might want to change/add?
4) Would like be something that other people would want?

(I'll be adding a clip to it, and there's a seperate hook on the laser as a backup lanyard type thing)

Let me know what you guys think. I'll have some fun pics and vids soon.

Facebook

goproforum.jpg
figured out how to include an actual pic, sorry about the crappy link :)

Replace your dome lens for a flat lens... (Oculus R5 GoPro HD Flat Lens Round) sorry about the dutch link, just google for "gopro oculus"

And lightwise you may want to use a light with a flood reflector instead of a beam.

You might consider a goodmand style handle ( see (GoPro "Goodman" Handle). I do not think a two handed setup is really nessecary, goodman style is less bulky too.

Enjoy you gopro, but make sure you get your buoyancy straight before loosing yourself in filming :) !

The replacement lenses have already been ordered. I looked for some red filter lenses but didn't have any luck.
I guess i could put a piece of dispercing plastic over the lens? Most of our diving will be daytime so the flashlight will mainly be for stuff like "hey what's in that hole"

As for bouyancy, naw, i'll just flop around like a retard until I drop everything... that's not the plan... but it's definitely the prediction. :) (i'm a very cautious person with everything, and my parents push the bouyancy thing too so that's already high on the list.).

Lastly, I made the 2 handle set up in part because I want to mount up the 3d rig when it's out for the Hero2. With the extra weight and size I was worried one hand would be too awkward. The guys at the dive shop here in calgary went nuts when they saw it and suggested i post it here for some feedback, so I appreciate the input.

Hey Iros!!! I currently have a similar set-up for mine. I have it mounted on my Princeton Tec primary light with the Oculus flat lense. This set-up I find works good except that I have had issues with "hot spots". I tried making a diffuser for it but it still had the hot spots. I have just ordered a housing for my digital point and shoot still camera with dual release handles. My plan is to have a slave strobe for the still and have ordered Ikelites new pro-2800 video light for the Go Pro which will be mounted on top of the still camera housing. I will post later on when they come in and a test the rig out. As for the red filter Eye of Mine makes a bunch of stuff for the Go Pro which includes a flat lense with cyan(reddish) filter.

On another note, which dive shop you going through in Calgary?

Anyways, Happy Diving!!

I have a dive helmet and when I get my gopro, I will mount it on the front. I have ot have my hands free to pick up fossils~!:D

1900 Lumen video spot

Light Housing.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom