Gopro 4 color correction issue; green image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsuyoshi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone encountered the green image quality issue with the Hero 4 Gopro's? I've used both the SRP CY and Backscatter red filters (yes I tried switched between deep & dive filters) and would end up with the Green washed out videos. This problem usually happens when the light condition is not good such as going to the 10-30 meter zone or an overcast day. Pointing at the sun toward the surface or turning on a bright video light sometimes helps the camera to achieve white balance and produce color corrected videos.

Just wondering anyone had this issue and figure out and fix? I'm thinking about both the light and place a white card to the camera to help with white balance. Any thoughts?

Thanks

20150911_221345.jpg

Your brain corrects for a lot of the color balance when diving. A filter will reduce the amount of other colors coming through and that is how it restores colors that have been washed out. The camera can't pick up light that isn't there.

This image does show that the reds in this video have been restored. If others are getting video that has a different balance BEFORE any editing or color correcting software,then it could be the sensor has a problem. Or it could mean that there is a software problem in the camera. Both of these are just guesses. I would check and see what other divers are getting on the same dives.

To be honest, for an unlighted video, even with a filter, this doesn't look outrageous to me.
I think a lot of time you get used to what you see on Youtube and not realize many of those guys are using lights, white cards and a lot of software to make the videos look good.

Light is the only way to restore all thr colors. Also, the green effect will take place when the light isn't sufficient.

U can try custom white balance... but it may distort other color.

It looks like I found the answer to this problem. As Timz suggested. After I light up a torch or video light and shine it at Gopro 4, better color correction resumes instantly (instead of the green image) when there are adequate light & visibility.

I am using the SRP's glass filters which makes stunning image qualities. spot meter off, protune off. But iquality still suffers at depth of 20M or below when insufficient light and low visibility.

Hope this helps anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom