Gopro 3 Can do Closeups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamrider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, I've been playing around with the Gopro 3 to see if it would make reasonably close ups videos, etc. of small critters. So far it's performed very well and I've put the results and sort of a "how to" here: Scubaguam.com.

I'm now testing it with "stacked" filters and will put up the results next week.

I like your website, funny, honest, and truthfull about no filter or lighting can help poor technique.

PM me your mailing address and that Airplane Bottle size sip of Crown will go in the mail to you...........

Great write-up, looking forward to more of your work!!!

This is just what i needed !.can't wait to see more .. great work :cheers:

This is just what i needed !.can't wait to see more .. great work :cheers:

Thanks for the comments. I've just removed the 3 video slips from the web page and added this video. It shows more and what settings, etc. that I used.

[video=youtube;p4ZFfFfJL2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ZFfFfJL2M&list=UUuCB3vYMjyJcygnkPLuJEmg& index=1[/video]

Pete, got me inspired to try. I'm heading to Panama in 2 weeks and there's a lot of small criters on the mangroves.

However, I don't have a HERO3.

I have a HERO2 with the Dive Housing, AutoCAD, access to a laser acrylic cutter and an eBay account for the filters.

Where there's will (and a broke diver) there's a way:

XXiNDCK.png

Holes are for elastic bands, a 62mm filter will attach to the front of this frame with some screws and washers (will poke those wholes once I have the filter). I'm using 62mm to avoid vignetting - I was going 77mm to be extra sure but it would cover the "Mode" button.

I will share how it came out.

I have a HERO2 with the Dive Housing, AutoCAD, access to a laser acrylic cutter and an eBay account for the filters. I will share how it came out.

Great idea. Good luck with it...but remember, don't get closer than 3 inches. Next week I'm going to try +15 and +20 diopters.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 09:08 PM ----------

Hi, I've been playing around with the Gopro 3 to see if it would make reasonably close ups videos, etc. of small critters. So far it's performed very well and I've put the results and sort of a "how to" here: Scubaguam.com.

Seems like quite a few divers saw what I posted on the discount (and when I published the page I had no idea what it would be) and ordered items from them. See the details on the page above.

Good tips on your site, thanks. I'd just ordered a couple of +10s to try either alone or stacked that I'm waiting to arrive. Was going to get bigger filters and a stepdown ring but ended up just getting 55mm that I can use on my H2 as well. I think in narrow mode vignetting won't be an issue even with filters stacked. Looking forward to trying them out.

As the "laser dude" is on my way home from work, sent it by e-mail and got it cut already on a piece of 1/8' acrylic.

Used some hair ties to secure it around the lens frame, it holds on to the dive housing perfectly. Put a drop of superglue on each knot so they won't come undone.

Here is how it looks, any suggestions to attach a diopter to that other than my original idea to use 4 screws around the edges to hold it down?

1S3ng7M.jpg
vJyMgDB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom