Gopro 3 Can do Closeups!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a step down ring, one that has a lip on the back and your filter thread size on the front. screw and glue that to the perspex permanently then you can just screw/unscrew your lenses as needed.

You could have done away with the cutouts and just used some of the existing screws to go through the acrylic as a permanent mount. Maybe. If they were long enough :p

Buy a step down ring, one that has a lip on the back and your filter thread size on the front. screw and glue that to the perspex permanently then you can just screw/unscrew your lenses as needed.

This might work! Thanks!

-----

Can't seen to find a plastic 67-62mm or 72-62mm step down

Last edited:
I thought something like this.. don't think they would come in plastic.. 58mm-62mm 58-62mm 58 to 62 Metal Step Up Lens Filter Ring Adapter Black | eBay

The more I think about it I dont know if its going to put the lens too far away from the camera. I don't know enough about this stuff to know if it matters. But for $10 I'm going to have fun trying out some lenses seeing I already have the threaded SRP naked mount

Try velcro. Get a larger diopter filter and put a small amt of tape on the camera lens support, and the opposite tape on the top and bottom of the filter!

I did this with an old Nikon filter on the original Gopro before anyone had any filters. Worked pretty good.

The video looks good .just a question how are you mounting the camera!. is it on a pole? and do you have the LCD screen to frame the shots ?

The video looks good .just a question how are you mounting the camera!. is it on a pole? and do you have the LCD screen to frame the shots ?

I just posted another page on the tray. The page is here. Yes, I have the LCD screen. I'm basically old and blind so I use a magnifying glass to check the focus.

Good effort. The quality of the lenses you use though is poor. The amount of fringing you get is so high that the scene with the anemone or the shrimps makes it look like I have double vision.
I think Sruyiapadi has already shown you can do close up however he used a step up ring to 67mm and two high quality lenses and the results are much better
Sure you can have fun with $20 but you get what you pay for

Good effort.
I think Sruyiapadi has already shown you can do close up however he used a step up ring to 67mm and two high quality lenses and the results are much better
Sure you can have fun with $20 but you get what you pay for

Yes, It's his video got me started thinking about this. But I bought a few of the cheap lenses because I wanted to see what they will would do with step up rings.

Probably 90% of divers who have a Gopro aren't going to invest $150-200 for an Inon or Subsea lens, if they can even get them. This is just another way they can get satisfying (to them and their friends) closeups without going broke.

I also have the same Inon +5 that he used. Another thing is that he tested the lenses in very controlled conditions in a pool. I'd really like to see what the Inon lens will do in a "real" environment. I 'm going to take mine out and will post some shots later this week.

Yes, It's his video got me started thinking about this. But I bought a few of the cheap lenses because I wanted to see what they will would do with step up rings.

Probably 90% of divers who have a Gopro aren't going to invest $150-200 for an Inon or Subsea lens, if they can even get them. This is just another way they can get satisfying (to them and their friends) closeups without going broke.

I also have the same Inon +5 that he used. Another thing is that he tested the lenses in very controlled conditions in a pool. I'd really like to see what the Inon lens will do in a "real" environment. I 'm going to take mine out and will post some shots later this week.

I agree totally a gopro use would not spend that amount of money and quality has a price. The Inon UCL167 is a real +6 in water I am sure it will do better than your +10 even on its own

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom